does anyone out there have an 18 month that isnt talking or doesnt say much and they are starting to worry?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 4:48 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i worried when my son was 18 months, he babbled on and on, but absolutely nothing coherent. i had him evaluated by a speech pathologist and she said he was a little behind but not enough to warrant speech therapy
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 4:55 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My daughter was a late talker. When she was around that age, I mentioned it at the pediatrician's office and basically said no one could ever understand her but me and she didn't have any clear words. They referred us to a Birth to Three Early Intervention Program. There is probably a similar organization in your state but it might have a slightly different name. They came out and did the evaluation for free in my home with toys, pictures, etc, very nice people. It turns out she was eligible for services. I was then, am now and always will be so glad we did it. It helped her tremendously. She was in speech therapy until 4 years old and is now fine (9 years old) and I always credit the early intervention for helping her with her speech before she got into kindergarten and had a much harder time. Obviously your child is still so young, it might not be a problem at all, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to let you know.
    TieDyeMom

Answer by TieDyeMom at 5:49 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My 20 month old is the same way. She was evaluated about 4 months ago and they said she was on the low side of normal then, but if she didn't improve to bring her back in 3-4 months. Now that the semester is over, I am going to call soon to set up another appointment.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 6:39 PM on May. 15, 2009

• All kids develop differently. If you feel that it would help to get he/she evaluated then I would. When my son was 18mo. he only said maybe 5 words. The doctor wanted him evaluated. I wanted to wait until he was 2 because he could follow directions, understood what I was saying, and could point to many things in book ect. I waited until he was 2 and then he speech really took off. By 25 months he was talking up a storm. Now at 29 months he repeats almost everything, says more words than I can count, and is saying 3-4 word sentences. Also have you thought of doing any baby signing with he/she. We started around 15 months with my son and it was great! It allowed him to get less frustrated because we could understand him more and it helped him to want to communicate more. I think the baby signing really helped him to start talking sooner!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 7:15 PM on May. 15, 2009