How do you make Goulash?

jasesmommy0529

Asked by jasesmommy0529 at 4:52 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My mom is the goulash maker in the family. It's a comfort food to us, I guess. She browns hamburber meat, cooks elbow macaroni until al dente and then mixes the meat, elbows, 1 can of ranch style beans (has to be ranch style, too) and velevetta cheese.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Transylvanian Goulash
    1-28 oz. Jar sauerkraut
    1 medium cabbage, sliced, use all but the core
    5 or 6 medium fresh tomatoes and 1 - 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or in winter use 2 cans of tomatoes instead)
    One medium to large onion, diced
    2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika – important use only this kind
    2 tablespoons caraway seeds
    2 cloves garlic if you wish
    2-3 Tbs. olive oil – do not use supermarket brands such as Wesson oil etc. only a good cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
    Juice of one lemon
    2 bay leaves
    Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil and let it gently turn color, transfer to a large pot – add the sauerkraut, paprika, mix together, then add everything else, stir well and let simmer – about an hour is good to blend the flavors really well. After it has been simmering about 15 minutes, taste and add more paprika if you like. I don’t measure seasonings and think I usu

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Rinse two cups of long grain brown rice, jasmine is nice, but any kind of brown rice will do. Bring three cups of water to a boil add 1 tsp. Sea salt, then the rice, stir until the water returns to a boil, then cover and simmer for 35 minutes. The heavier the pot the better the rice will cook – a Le Cruset is a good one if you have it. Using a flame deflector under the pot is good for cooking grain also. Recently, I have started using a double boiler, that works well also. After the 35 minutes are up, turn off the flame and wait another 10 minutes to open the lid – stir and it is ready to serve.

To serve, put some rice on a plate or in a bowl, ladle some goulash over it.
    You could gently sauté some sliced tofu in a bit of olive oil and add to the pot in the last 15 minutes. Or add some halved new potatoes the last 30 minutes.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:58 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My husband makes it. Hamburger meat mixed with Velveta Mac and Cheese and a can of rotel. It is pretty good.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 7:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• brown hamberger meat, drain off the greese. add cooked elbow mac. jar of ragu...my mom always added veggies..because she didnt think we got enought..so she added a little corn. i like the sweet taste too. sprinkle with grated cheese after i put it on the plate. i make a side salad and garlic toast to go with mine. kids love it. but then they will eat anything...thank goodness.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 5:05 AM on May. 16, 2009