Kidney Questions

I am 22 weeks pregnant. I went in and had my ultrasound done. In the middle of the ultrasound I had a sarp pain in the right side of my back, never had that happen before. I mentioned it to the tech and he looked at the right kidney took some pictures and looked at the bladder and took some pictures. The left side was producing urin but the right side was not at all. He asked if I had kidney stones I said, no. He said it is probably just from me poking around to look at the baby and not to worry. Should I worry? The pain went away about 3 hrs later and it hasn't come back yet..

katelandt21

Asked by katelandt21 at 4:53 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If the pain is gone then you should be fine and i wouldnt worry. If it comes back then i would go in. But that happend to me when they were looking at my belly. It went away and i havnt had a problem with it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:01 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I don't know that doesn't sound right. Both of your kidneys should be producing urine. I would talk to your doctor further about this.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:02 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Decrease in kidney function can be serious and should be followed up with your dr and I dont believe an ultrasound alone could determine that one isnt functioning at all, when you get dehydrated for a long period of time it can affect kidney function thats what happened to my dad and a few days on an iv cured that up so talk to your dr about that asap and in the mean time drink nothing but water or pedialyte and dont stress
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 5:09 PM on May. 15, 2009

• the baby could be laying on a nerve......i had sharp pain for 3 months where i could not move.
    kaylajean86

Answer by kaylajean86 at 8:34 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Not to freak you out, but I had this happen to me when I was 17 wks with my son. I had woken up with a severe pain in my right upper quadrant of my back... the pain DID NOT subside tho. Like whatsoever. So I went to the ER & told them my pain. They immediately did an U/S & found that no urine was passing thru my right ureter (tube that connects kidney to bladder). I then had to go do some test (i forget the name) but the injected iodine in an IV, took a couple x-rays (yes, while pregnant) to see if they could find stones. They didn't. But they said that they could see my son's head pressed up against the ureter, and maybe that's what was causing the blocking & pain.

They scared the shit out of me by saying my kidney could become septic if the urine backs up. So I went into emergency surgery to have a stent (tube) placed in my ureter. It was the most pain that I have ever endured when I woke up.
    kendrak86

Answer by kendrak86 at 1:37 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I had that damn thing in for 2 months. I couldn't move, it hurt to walk & get out of bed. I was constantly peeing myself & peeing blood (because the tube kept causing irritation).
    I kept following up w/ a urologist & he agreed to remove it b/c he could see how much pain I was in w/ it in. I was 26 wks along at the time, and couldn't imagine going the rest of my pregnancy with it in.
    I prayed that the kidney pain would not come back (an indication that the kidney was backing up again) and thankfully it never did once the urologist took the stent out (another horribly painful procedure, I was awake for this one). and I'll spare you the details unless u really want to know.

If that happens to me again in this pregnancy I am not sure I would get the stent again. I would like to discuss other options first.

I hope everything works out for you!
    kendrak86

Answer by kendrak86 at 1:41 PM on May. 16, 2009