Judge rules family cannot refuse chemo for boy

Here is the link to the story from Today:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090515/ap_on_he_me/us_med_forced_chemo

What are your thoughts about this? Should the parents religious views been respected, or do you think the judge did the right thing?

WishyClarkson

Asked by WishyClarkson at 5:22 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i feel that the judge did the right thing, yes they have the right to believe what they want but they are not the boy. he is not capable of making the decision for himself, and his parents can only make decisions for there bodies in this case because refusing medical attention at this time will really be neglect.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 5:24 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Judge did the right thing!
    Anonymous

• I think that if their religious beliefs had been respected that the state should have prosecuted for wrongful death. In addition to neglect as well. Lets see if they are willing to go to jail for their religious convictions.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:25 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Everything we use in this world is made out of things from the planet, God created the planet, he created these things for us to use so we can cure things. In my opinion the religious way would be to USE these resources. So I think the court did the right thing, chemo could save that little boys life and the parents will be so happy to see him grow up. Or they can still not let him and risk him dieing within the next few months. But of course this is just my own opinion.
    Anonymous

• Will it still be a problem when they get a judge to tell someone they can't treat their child's ADD with diet and must use drugs?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:32 PM on May. 15, 2009

• ADD is not life and death...cancer is NotPanicking
    Anonymous

• Slippery slope. Where is the line drawn? This time it is cancer and chemo. Next time it's Down syndrome and abortion.
    Anonymous

• They went to the doctor for a diagnosis and NOW they claim no interference. They need to make up their minds.

Anonymous

• I don't think it's a slippery slope, I think there is more to it, the parents are really ignorant (lack of knowledge) if they had more facts about chemo then maybe they would see it's the best solution to helping their child live. Some times people just don't want to hear the facts. Now if they did read on it and understand everything about it and they still felt GOD was the way to heal their child, then yes it is their own decision, it's a bad one but it's still theirs. Now if their child told them "hey I want to live give me the chemo" and they still didn't then they are totally in the wrong. If my child said they want to put their faith in GOD and only GOD I would let them if I was religious, but since I'm not I would do chemo. So I think the judge was right only because the child is too young to decide for himself.
    Anonymous

• I think since this is a matter of life and death, the judge made the right ruling. My understanding of the situation is that the parents justification of not doing chemotherapy is that their son doesn't want to. Their son, in my opinion, is too young to make such a decision and his basis for doing so is solely the result of the teachings/brainwashings of his parents. I understand the slippery slope argument and certainly this is not an easy decision. But who here feels that this child is qualified to make this sort of choice at his age? Because remember, according to the parents, this is the child's decision, not theirs!
    Anonymous