I need opinions..

I am a little confused now. I have had the IUD Mirena for nearly a year and the doctor did not tell me this bit of info, neither did the pamphlet I got....

he hormone in the IUD may sometimes stop the release of an egg from the ovary, but this is not the way it usually works as ovulation still occurs in most women. The Mirena system may prevent sperm from reaching or fertilizing an egg. However, some sperm may reach the egg anyway, resulting in fertilization. When fertilization does occur, Mirena is also thought to act as birth control by preventing the embryo from implanting in the uterus. It is not known which of these mechanisms is most important for preventing pregnancy and most likely all of them work together.
Is this abortion? Should I get it removed or am I thinking about this wrong? I got that article from http://www.contracept.org/iud-mirena.php. I am getting a little upset..someone give me advice. what d u think?

2wndrfl_btrflys

Asked by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:27 PM on May. 15, 2009 in About CafeMom

• i had the mirena IUD for about 2 years..as i thought it was the best way to prevent another baby..which it was..i was never informed of this "spontanous abortion" eiether..i however dont know really..i think it just prevents the sperm fromever reaching an egg.it doesnt prevent ovaulation tho..so in the off chance sperm did reach an egg,..then the IUD would prevent it from laching on the the uterine wall and an"abortion" would occur.but the chances of a sperm reaching an egg with the IUD in place is very minimal.i have to say tho that i had mine recently taken out and my body feels SOOO much better..also i didnt have a period the whole 2 years it was in place.
    Anonymous

• well, thats exactly the reason i opted to NOT get the IUD...

imo, it would be considered abortion, because the egg has been fertilized, but the IUD makes your uterus a harsh environment where the embryo cannot attach
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 5:29 PM on May. 15, 2009

• see i was not informed on all of this..I would never have gotten this stupid thing If I had known about this.

Does this mean I am a hypocrite? I am against abortions except for an extreme situation but this is not one of them? I am so confused and I have an appt. to get it taken out. I called after I found this out. I am so upset. I have been crying since I found out. What do I do?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:32 PM on May. 15, 2009

• an IUD acts as an irritant...what do you think the copper IUD does? The one that lasts 10 years? It has no hormone to prevent ovulation, no hormone to prevent fertilization, its only purpose is to act as an irritant and not allow the fertilized egg to implant, resulting in a spontaneous abortion that you hardly even notice anyways.

I think that your decision to keep it or not depends on your views of when life starts. To me it is not when the egg becomes fertilized and becomes a zygote. To me it is when the egg implants itself in your uterine wall and begins taking nourishment from the mother. Since the IUD (99% of the time) prevents that from happening, I do not see it as wrong.
    Anonymous

• That was my statement by the way...not sure why it was Anon.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:33 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i don't think you're a hypocrite. you weren't fully informed when you made the choice to have it placed, and now you're taking steps to have it removed. if it bothers you, track your ovulation to make sure you don't have sex (or you can use another form of protection) so you don't fertilize any eggs
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 5:35 PM on May. 15, 2009

• That's how most IUD's work. I'm not Nuva Ring and my doctor or any pamphlet or anything else has said this about it. And if it did, I wouldn't be upset. Because I know that this can happen without any form of birth control. Not all fertilized eggs implant, this is normal. Do I think it's abortion? No.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 5:39 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Keep in mind, if you've had your Mirena so long that you're not having your period that means you're not ovulating at all so this isn't happening.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 6:36 PM on May. 15, 2009