Abortions done because of the baby's sex??

Do you think it is okay for parents to abort their baby because the baby isn't the "right" gender?
It was determined legal in Sweden and won't be long till other countries will have to make decisions about it.
CVS testing can be done in the first trimester, it can determine the baby's sex along with genetic disorders. Unlike ultrasounds that can determine sex around 18 weeks. This way the gender-based abortion can occur in the first trimester.
Is a gender-based abortion any different than an abortion for other reasons? Is it any more immoral?
If you are pro-choice, but feel gender-based abortions are wrong, please explain your reasoning.
What makes an abortion for financial reasons better than one because the baby is the "wrong" gender?

aprilmommy123

Asked by aprilmommy123 at 5:45 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is in Sweden, and I think we all think it's wrong, but China and India do it as well and we don't ever bring them up. China has been doing it for hundreds of years so....As long as it isn't America then we have no say.
    Anonymous

• What makes you think it isn't done here in America? Maybe the parents don't make it well known, but I am sure there are people who do this here.
    When did I say I was looking to change Sweden's laws (or any other country) anyways? I want people's opinions. This will be something that America will deal with sooner or later.
    aprilmommy123

Answer by aprilmommy123 at 5:49 PM on May. 15, 2009

• "This is in Sweden, and I think we all think it's wrong,"

Be careful anon. You don't speak for everyone.
    I don't see how an abortion based on the baby's gender is any different than one for other reasons. It is a WOMANS right to choose if she wants to terminate a pregnancy, right? So who are we to judge how she makes that choice?
    Anonymous

• Abortions are the epitome of selfishness. This is just icing on the cake.
    Anonymous

• Having an abortion because of gender is sick and pathetic!!!
    Anonymous

• They do this in China and in India because in those countries a female child is virtually worthless, and to top it off her father has to pay a dowry to get her married off. Sex-selection has backfired on them big time now though, because there are many men who have no women to marry. Before sex-selection abortion became possible they had to practice this by drowning or otherwise killing a living, already born, full-term baby, something a lot of people were rather reluctant to do, no matter how much they didn't want the baby before birth.
    I can't really see the point in doing this in Sweden, tho. As a first-world country, there isn't much overt preference for male children over female children, I don't think? Please correct me if I'm wrong in this.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 6:19 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Here i am talking to my boyfriend about the possibility that there could be something wrong with our baby and how we would find a way to raise it..didnt think that so many thought that abortion is such an easy and right answer...
    moodymommy193

Answer by moodymommy193 at 7:07 PM on May. 15, 2009

• In my opinion it is wrong
    ERV2009

Answer by ERV2009 at 7:40 PM on May. 15, 2009

• abortion because of sex : NO WAY!! i said for years id never want girls , i got a baby girl now , and uuuugh! i love it!!!! i couldnt have asked for a better / more beautiful girl!! idk i never wanted girls bc of how MOST are backstabbers , so i never had grl friends or anything , but id have never gotten an abortion bc of her sex! even though i didnt want a girl , that thought NEVER EVER crossed my mind!!! i just said we're going to teach her to NOT be like other girls lol .... now abortion for something being wrong w/ the baby : WHOLE HEARTEDLY agree! thats the only way id have one -- or rape
    Anonymous

• it is amazing to see how cruel and evil human beings can be. i am amazed that we can call ourselves a civilized race and at the top of the food chain when we act no better then the animals we seem to dominate.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:00 PM on May. 15, 2009