Thinking of opening an at home daycare....

I am thinking about starting a daycare out of my home. I am putting my daughter into a daycare for the summer and hope to be able to put together my own daycare by fall. Anyone out there operate a daycare? Do you have any pointers to make it easier for me to start mine?

Sophia_L

Asked by Sophia_L at 5:50 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• make sure it's legal!!!

I do not know what state you are from, but every state has different laws about day cares.. so be sure to check them out.

Otherwise, suggestions include:
    making one room dedicated to the children and their daily activities.. having enough seating, and high chairs to cover feedings.. have enough space/equipment for nap time/quiet time...be sure you house is child safe/friendly, have enough food to cover children of all ages (or be prepared to shop according to the children you take on)..

plan activities a day a head of time, so you aren't overwhelmed..

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:13 AM on May. 16, 2009

• It depends on the state you live in, but here in California they just passed something to where you have to go to school for it now. It use to be you just get the business license and you have to own your own home(not renting) everyone in the home has to get shots, it has to be inspected for baby proofing and you have to have someone create a fire escape and post in where everyone can see it. There is a lot of work to be done, but once you get it started it just flows and all the money starts coming in. Oh don't forget to make a contract, if you don't then people will swindle(however you spell it) you like crazy!! Look up the requirements for where you live, it might be easier. It took my MIL about 1 year to get started (without going to school for it).
    Anonymous

• In addition to what the above poster mentioned, you will also need liabilty insurance.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 PM on May. 15, 2009

• It depends on where you live. I currently watch a 2 yr old little boy fulltime. Here, if you watch 3 or more children, you are a daycare and you can get fined, shut down and I think jailed (after repeated warnings im sure but don't quote me) if you are not licensed.

its a hard job just watching one child. And then my kids come home from school and I feel like hiding in a closet lol. Good luck.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:12 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My lil brother went to a lady who did the daycare out of her home she got her food paid for by the state. Different states have different little perks like that.Make sure you check into all of that!
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 3:12 AM on May. 16, 2009