Peeing in public....so to speak?

Not in front of everybody, but do you allow your little boy to pee in public, like behind a building or tree or even in between your vehicle doors. How do you feel about this. Lil j is about to master the potty training thing with going out in public without a pullup.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 5:51 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My sister let her youngest pee in outside. When he was almost four they went to a memorial service for his brothers son. My sister looked over and there was D peeing on somebody's headstone.
    I won't let my boys pee outside unless it is an emergency.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• The only time I approve of this behavior is when it is the only option. When we were kids on long road trips, we would pee on the side of the road (hidden by the car and parents) if there wasn't a rest stop for an hour or so. Otherwise, I would teach children of both genders to pee in a bathroom only.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:53 PM on May. 15, 2009

• If it were absolutely necessary I would allow it. Heck, I'd do it myself if there were no other options! If you're in town you can always find somewhere, there are very few stores and restaurants that would rather let a little kid wet themselves than let them use their restroom. My guy has been trained for over a year now and we've never had a situation where he had to go outside.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:58 PM on May. 15, 2009

• If they are out playing way out in the field I'll let him do it outside. If we are running around town I make him hold it until we can find a public restroom. I suppose if we were on a long car trip and no rest stop in sight then I would let him. I don't want him whipping it out wherever and peeing.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 6:12 PM on May. 15, 2009

• For little boys, carry a jar with a lid on it.

I am reminded of when my little guy had a follow up appointment with the surgeon who had taken out his tonsils. I urged my son to use the bathroom before we left the doctor's office, but he just wanted out of there. We stopped at a drugstore on the way home, and poor kid (4 years old) wet all over the floor. The druggist was sympathetic and led us to their private bathroom where I cleaned him up as much as I could and took paper towels out to the store and cleaned up the puddle.

Answer by Bmat at 6:12 PM on May. 15, 2009

• shruggingAh, the beauty of boys. Though my goddaughter can squat with the best of us! When my boys were that age, I kept my empty water bottles in the truck. Yep, just what you're thinking. This helped in a pinch many times as I despise public restrooms and hated to drag them both into them unecessarily. (I answered your question on public restrooms, LOL!) Now that they're older, it's easier for them to "hold it" AND easier for me to manage them in a public bathroom, i.e., don't touch the wall, don't look at mommy, etc.  Good Luck!

jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 6:14 PM on May. 15, 2009

• If you can stand another pee story. I was watching a parade one 4th of July and noticed a trickle of water running along the curb. As I looked around in curiosity, a mom noticed that her little son had "whipped it out" and was peeing quite openly in public. LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 6:15 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Honestly I think public restrooms are disgusting to the utmost myself. When I have to go or my daughter has to go I find me a nearby upscale hotel. Seems like those are the only bathrooms that are kept up to par. I like the ideas about the jar and what not.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 6:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My husband let my son do it once, and he thought it was the greatest thing ever. I spent the next month trying to tell him that if you could make it to the bathroom that was where you needed to do the job. It does help with potty training sometimes, but what it has done for us is given us some stories that will keep us laughing for a lifetime.
    batikeggartist

Answer by batikeggartist at 7:52 PM on May. 15, 2009

• That's what we grew up doing!
    Even today, if we are out in the middle of nowhere and I have to "go" I have my husband stop so I can go out in the woods and find a thirsty tree.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:07 PM on May. 16, 2009