What age is okay to start the toddler bed with my twins??

Our twins are gonna be 15month on the 26th of this month (May) and although I know it's not yet that I introduce the toddler bed, it's gonna be sooner than I think (or want! lol) but for real ladies any input on maybe what worked for you, or didn't so well for that matter I would be so blessed to hear your input! Do I keep their cribs up as a 'just in case' thing??? && if I do, for how long??? HELP LADIES!!!

Thank you soooo much! ~Jessica~

twindelight

Asked by twindelight at 6:00 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you should put them in toddler beds as soon as they try climbing out of their crib.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 6:15 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Some people do big beds as early as 12 months, I've seen some in beds by 9 months. I think it depends on how you feel and how your kids will handle it. My daughter is 18 months and I'm going to switch her to a twin bed shortly. (As soon as I stop procrastinating and get it together!) There are a lot of influencing factors. For us, we are moving in 1 1/2 months and have a new baby coming in October and I want to reuse the crib.
    Personally we are taking the crib down. That way she can't try to revert b/c it's not there. You just have to be well rested and be prepared for some restless nights. Maybe put the cribs in another room they don't go in if it's possible. Everyone does things differently, go with the flow and use your instincts.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 6:15 PM on May. 15, 2009

• and yes you could keep the cribs up for a little while just in case the whole toddler bed idea doesn't work out too well. i've actually heard that toddler beds are a waste of money because they grow out of them so fast, and to just go straight to a twin size bed, but thats all up to you.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 6:16 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My oldest never did a crib or toddler bed....

My youngest is 20 months old and in her crib. She never tries to get out so I'm not real worried about it.

That said, I am considering trying to get her into the toddler bed we have beside her crib at some point, but I"m not in a hurry. I doubt the baby will need the crib until he is about 10 months old or more so she's got more than a year. :)

If she starts trying to climb out I'll transition her.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 6:23 PM on May. 15, 2009

• IMO I want to keep my son in the crib until around 3. He is very impulsive and sleeps really well in it. He also doesn't climb out. JMO but, I just feel that sometime people rush it too soon and then they have a lot of trouble with it and sometimes sleep problems develop. When we do transition him I am going to put the bed up in his room for a while first so that he gets used to it. Then I will start giving him the choice of which he wants to sleep in for nap. After he sleeps in it for nap for a while, we will start putting him in it at night.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 7:04 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Our crib turns into a toddler bed, so I think the transition will be easier since it will look familiar. She is only 10 months old, so that will be far into the future.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:04 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Depends on the child.

As a general rule once your child can climb out of their crib, it's time to change them to a toddler bed. Keeping them in a crib once they've learned is just dangerous. My daughter is 18 months and still in a crib but I can tell she's getting ready for the change. Whether it will come in one month or 6 months, I'm not sure but it's coming.

From what I've seen with most children it's anywhere from about 19 months-2 years.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 4:09 AM on May. 16, 2009

• And for your 15 month olds, I would suggest putting the cribs back up in the new house. The move is bound to be a pretty big change for them already and I don't see a reason to take them out of their crib yet.

As long as they aren't climbing out yet you've got a few months before you really need to transition them. So let them keep their cribs, it will make the move easier and they'd probably be more likely to give you less of a fight when they do go to toddler beds since it wasn't one swift change on top of another.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 4:13 AM on May. 16, 2009

• my twins r 2 now and i still didnt take them out the crib i am thinking about it i think toddler beds r so cute i love the princess one lol my twins r a boy and a girl so i can get the princess bed lol

awwa

Answer by awwa at 10:24 PM on May. 20, 2009