Age child is allowed to sit in the front of a car??

I'm not certain what the laws are. But I've always made our daughter (now 7 yrs old ) sit in the back. She just came home saying daddy let her sit up front. He was only going a short distance. But, I'm not so sure thats safe or even legal.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 6:05 PM on May. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think the age is 12, but its not about law (i don't think) I am pretty sure its about safety. If she is in the front seat the airbag needs to be turned off on her side. If they got into a wreck it could kill her.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:06 PM on May. 15, 2009

• 12 years i believe is the recommended age. not sure if its a law or not. the air bags are dangerous for small children, they deploy at extremely high speeds and can cause harm, and also can suffocate
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 6:07 PM on May. 15, 2009

• idk what the actual law is but in california they encourage parents to wait until the child is 12
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:07 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I think it depends on the state, 12 seems to be the common answer. But I know there are certain height requirements for air bags, which I believe is a minimum of 5 feet. Try googling it, I did and got some answers, but they varied by state.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 6:08 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I never let anyone sit upfront unless they are a teenager, if they are under that they go in the back. So about 12 or 13 I believe.
    And they have to be in boosters til about 7 or 8 yrs old or 4' 9" and thats quite a long time but I see kids all the time not in carseats or booster seats, and lil ones riding up front not even with a seat belt! Its horrible.
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 6:36 PM on May. 15, 2009

• 12 / 5' / 100 pounds. If you have an older car without airbags, it is not as big a deal. The force of an airbag can decapitate a child; please be sure that your daugher's father is aware of this.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I'd wait until 12.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:54 PM on May. 15, 2009

• 12 or 13. Otherwise, in the back where they belong. It's just safer.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 8:04 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Washington state law states that children under the age of 13 have to ride in the back. It's a $124 fine.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:34 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Thanks. I did google it for Ky. Though I did find laws for carseats I didn't find any law for older children sitting in the front. But I did make sure hubby is aware that its not safe and our daughter is to always ride in the back seat.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:40 PM on May. 15, 2009