Afraid to give birth...

Im 35 weeks pregnant and am having thoughts about giving birth and the pain. Probably normal for first time mothers not knowing what it feels like or how you will be able to handle it. Am looking for suggestions as to what helped you "overcome" the fear-what it felt like for you? Please no mean posts :( this is something that has been bothering me lately, I feel like when I get there I wont be able to do it.

tjandjenna

Asked by tjandjenna at 6:15 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• sweetheart, women give birth every day and they live through it. your fear is normal!! you reward will be your precious baby, it is SO worth it!!!
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 6:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Of course it is normal! Regular excercise helps, along with preparation for child birth classes.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 PM on May. 15, 2009

• It is really common for women to be afraid of childbirth. So no worries there.

I just thought that it was only a few hours of pain for a lifetime of joy. I knew I could do it. If it was that bad then women would only have one child. KWIM?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:18 PM on May. 15, 2009

• you'll be fine :) my sister had me scared to death about the pain but it wasn't that bad for me... i did get an epidural b/c i was afraid of the pain but it didn't work so i had my 9lb 3oz little girl all natural & to be honest, it was just uncomfortable, not really painful
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:18 PM on May. 15, 2009

• the way i thought about it was...a few hours of pain=a life time of joy.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 6:18 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I was in the same boat. I was TERRIFIED of giving birth, well more of doing it without an epidural. Then I decided maybe I was scared of the epidural too! I don't know what to do to help you relieve the fear, I just know that when the time came I was extremely nervous but it was nothing I couldn't handle. (I ended up w/ no labor and an emergency section)
    This time around, I'm once again rather nervous about the whole birthing process even knowing I'm going into a scheduled section and I know exactly what happens and what to expect. Truthfully, I try not to think about it. I read trashy romance novels before bed to shut my brain down (the more predictable the better!) and I distract myself when I start getting all paranoid. It's been working and I'll hopefully be able to keep it up until October. :)
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 6:18 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i was nervous too. i went to a lamaze class which made me feel so much better. they told me to bring something to focus on...i brought my grandmas jewelry. since she had died, i think she helped me through it. i mean you just have to do whatever possible to get through the pain. and there is always the epidural which was a miracle worker for me!
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 6:20 PM on May. 15, 2009

• haha, NathsKitten...we said the same thing at the same time...JINKX
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 6:20 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Thanks gals! :)
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 6:22 PM on May. 15, 2009

• You will be okay, I had my first son when I was 17, innocently I opted not to take any meds when I was giving birth and I did it, it hurt as all heck but I did it. My second son I had all the intentions of doing it natural as well but after 19 hours I took demerol, I am preggo (32 weeks) with my last and I am scared to death that I won't be able to do it. My youngest one is 8. You will be okay, just do your breathing, try taking a bath when you're in labor, there's something so calming about being in the water, contractions wont go away but I think the water makes them easier to deal with. Congrats and good luck, you're almost there!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:35 PM on May. 15, 2009