when can you start introducing milk to your baby?

my son is nine months old and goes absolutely crazy for anything his father or i drink. i drink a lot of milk and was wondering when is it safe for my son to have some regular vitamin d milk too.

socalbabymama

Asked by socalbabymama at 6:18 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't see why not. It's not recommended to replace formula or BM before 12 months, but a drink of milk isn't going to hurt anything at 9 months. Some babies have weaned from the bottle at 9 months and get milk all the time, if you're truly worried, ask the doctor at your next check up.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 6:21 PM on May. 15, 2009

• around 1 year.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 6:21 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I let my DD have milk at 10 months and nothing bad happened like some people on here will lead you to believe. She didn't have stomach aches or constipation. She liked the milk and still does. She drinks it from a sippy cup.
    theosgirl45

Answer by theosgirl45 at 6:24 PM on May. 15, 2009

• All 3 of my children start 2% milk when the ywhere 9 months old
    Anonymous

• i was told 1 year so i am going to go by that only because DS is on soy formula and i dont want him to get sick if i give him cows milk too early.
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 6:29 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Diary is an allergy trigger and should not be introduced before baby turns one. The World Health Organzation (much less influenced by the formula and dairy industries than American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of two years. Honesly, he isn't a baby cow and doesn't need cow milk.
    Offer hin water in a sippy and lots of calcium rich foods; here is a great article on building bones: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    Good fats can be found in lots of foods, like avocado, ground flax and flax oil, ground hempseeds and hemp oil; egg yolks; olive oil,etc.
    Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is a great book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families; you should be able to find it at your local libary; more information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 PM on May. 15, 2009

• We did a mixture of formula and milk with our daughter about a week before her birthday. Then on her birthday, we did a milk with formula, more milk than formula. About a week after her birthday, she was off formula all together.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:32 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I would wait for 1 year. Introducing it too early is an allergy trigger, so why chance it. They really don't need it until they are 1 anyway. Kids are always going to want what mommy and daddy are having, but what we are having isn't always good for them.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 6:58 PM on May. 15, 2009