I want to have this my baby with no drugs..have you? and how was it?

Im afraid of needles, doctors never find my vein on the first poke...ever! I dont want drugs...I know I can do it...but I have no one to talk to about it.

moodymommy193

Asked by moodymommy193 at 6:22 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well, honestly, if you are planning on a hospital birth you will get an IV regardless. It's for emergency purposes as well to make sure you are plenty hydrated. (Sorry, that was maybe some really bad news for you but I'd hate for you to unprepared) The good news is that those nurses stick so many people a day and you have extra fluids b/c of the baby that it tends to be easier. I'm a really hard stick too, just try to direct them to the arm, hand, etc that has the best veins.
    I never got the chance to go into labor, but my friend did it natural and said it was great. She didn't plan natural, it just never got to the point where she thought she needed meds.
    I applaud you, I personally wanted drugs but was terrified of the epidural. You'll do fine and get all sorts of bragging rights. ;)
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 6:26 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i tried. i got to 8 centimeters and felt like i was going to die so i got an epidural. even with that i felt everything stretching and my son coming out. it was the weirdest feeling ever! im scared of needles too but with all of the pain i was in, i didnt care. the epidural needle is huge yes, but they can do it in the back. it hurts for like a second when they stick it in and then you cant feel anything
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 6:26 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I am not sure about going through childbirth with no meds. However, I can tell you, Hypnotherapists are generally trained to have some sort of anesthesia training. Meaning, they can put you in a sedated state to where you don't notice the pain.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:27 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I had a 10Lb baby with no drugs, no IVs nothing.
    It wan't too bad at all to be honest and I was relieved not to be doped to the gills cause where I had my daughter there's no such thing as taking the baby to the nursery over night.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 6:29 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I did have an IV for fluid and in case of emergency. I had 21 1/2 hours of labor without drugs. It can be done. Just remember to breath. Any questions feel free to PM me :)
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 6:52 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I had my first child naturally with drugs. I practiced my breathing techniques and took it one contraction at a time. The labor was 22 hours.... I was fine and my baby was alert and healthy. No complications at all. I recommend it far above epidural or c-section when those aren't medically necessary.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:59 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I told my doctor I didn't want an IV and she said that was fine because I wanted to do a natural birth. I wanted to be up and moving around so an IV would just be in the way and I don't like needles either. But I ended up having an IV anyways because I asked for a epidural. But I got to the hospital too late for the epidural, i was already at 8cm. Then the anesthesiologist got there 30 minutes later and I was at 10 cm and waiting for the doctor. So I didn't get the epidural and I'm glad because I did want to do that naturally. After wards though I wouldn't stop bleeding and they had to give me a shot in the arm, and put some stuff in my IV. I don't know what I was thinking about moving around during the labor, lol. yeah right.!!!! I stayed on the bed the whole time!!! But my labor was only 4 hours 1 of which was spent in the car on the way to the hospital.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 7:31 PM on May. 15, 2009

• First and for most you do NOT have to have anything!!! Including an IV. It's YOUR body and no one can tell you what to do with it.

Second join the Natural birth in hospital group. There is lots of support and information there.

Remember women's bodies were MADE to do this. You CAN do this because your body is expecting you to and because your body KNOWS what to do.

Anonymous

• sorry to say girl but it isnt as easy as it looks... i decided not to get the drug but oh my i was in pain...i cried and cried and had to get it.... i think it just depends on how well you can take pain...... good luck and take care..
    sweetsugarbabe

Answer by sweetsugarbabe at 8:37 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i'm very sensitive. i have a low tolerance for pain. but, i am trying a VBAC all natural. Before my c-section with my first...my labor was induced with cervical gel and pitocin (which caused the most severe pain of my life) and so i got an epidural which caused my baby's heart rate to go down and my blood pressure to lower and slow down my labor. plus, it wore off after 45 minutes. they took that one out and put another one in, which lasted 20 minutes. not worth it...i felt 16 hours of augmented labor pains. so, since it didn't help me...i'm not having any drugs when i try my vaginal birth. i took lamaze and hypno-birthing classes and i'm just going to try to meditate and pray...and tell myself my body can do it.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:50 PM on May. 15, 2009