What do you think?

So what do all you ladies think about the courts decision to force Daniel Hauser to take medical intervention? If you don't know who he is, he is the 13 year old boy who has cancer, but his parents are refusing treatment based on their religious beliefs. They have convinced this boy that he doesn't need chemotherapy. The courts have stepped in, and are forcing the parents to treat him. What are your thoughts?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_he_me/us_med_forced_chemo

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 6:30 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that courts disallowing parents to choose alternative medicine over conventional is a bad thing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:32 PM on May. 15, 2009

• tough one...what does the boy want to do?
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 6:32 PM on May. 15, 2009

• if he needs chemo, then he needs chemo! it doesnt matter what their religious beliefs are. if their son needs medical treatment, it should be no debate unless their religion in more important then their son
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 6:33 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Even if the child will die without the medicine?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:33 PM on May. 15, 2009

• The boy doesn't want the chemo, but his parents have convinced him that homeopathy is an acceptable alternative. The judge ruled that he doesn't understand the full extent of the situation, and so ordered the chemo.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:34 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I think this is a touchy situation, however I also think that the government is trying to tell parents what they feel is right. I just wonder where this could lead to.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:39 PM on May. 15, 2009

• In certain situations I think this is a good thing. Although, I respect every-one's right to choose their religion, I don't think a boy this age quite understands the consequences of not getting the proper medical treatment. They said he had a 90% chance of survival with chemo.... who knows, maybe his parents need this intervention to help him, regardless of their religious view. Since they disagree, but he gets it, they are free from feeling guilt regarding their religion or his possible passing. It is easy to give such an opinion when I'm not in his parents minds.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:47 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Personally I believe that knowingly allowing your child to die, from a curable disease, should be considered child abuse, and the child should be removed from the parents.

In the words of Tim Minchin: "Alternative medicine; by definition has either not been proved to work, or been proved not to work. Do you know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work? MEDICINE!"
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:48 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Do you know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work? MEDICINE!"

Unless they can't patent it
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:00 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I think it is awful.  I think to courts went too far this time.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:00 PM on May. 15, 2009