My baby is only 4mnths but he is already 18lbs, he was born 8lbs 8oz. Is he over weight?

I only feed him about 4-6oz bottles per day and a jar of fruit mixed with oatmeal for bkfst...

mzs3xci1229

Asked by mzs3xci1229 at 6:35 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's a big boy but babies cannot be overweight
    Anonymous

• Nope, that is exactly how much my son weighed at 4 months. He is now about 25 lbs, 30.5" and will be 1 on the 30th.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:36 PM on May. 15, 2009

• He is too little for fruit and oatmeal though. He should only be having rice cereal and that's even iffy and formula
    Anonymous

• IS HE FROM TEXAS?LOL
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 6:37 PM on May. 15, 2009

• dont be too worried. my son is a chunker. he was 6 lbs. 4 oz. when he was born and he is 9 months now and he weighs 24 lbs and 5 oz. he is heavier then most babies. but he is taller then most babies too. if your pediatrician says he is fine then theres nothing to worry about. once your son starts moving like crawling (which might take longer since he is heavier) and walking he is going to lose weight and not gain as much weight as fast
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 6:37 PM on May. 15, 2009

• If your child's doctor is not concern then you should not either. Most babies grow into there weight. My son was a 1/2 ounce away from 9lbs & was always big until he started being active like running, walking, playing. He grew into his weight & so will yours

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:38 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My son was around 18lbs. at four months. Now he is almost 2 1/2 and he is just 28 pounds. When they start moving they really seem to not gain as much. The only thing I would recommend is just sticking to formula. Babies really don't need anything else until 6 months even if they are bigger babies. Introducing solids too early can lead to food allergies later because their digestive tracks are not mature enough to handle it yet.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 6:55 PM on May. 15, 2009

• He sounds fine but I would quit with the fruit and oatmeal for a couple months. He needs only the formula right now. His digestive system is still young. And yeah babies can be overweight and feeding him that stuff too young can lead to diabetes and obesity . Especially fruit its natural sugar but still unnecessary sugar. He should have veggies at or after 6 months
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:24 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My son weighs 18 lbs as well and is only 4 months. He is about 27'' long too. He is a lil chunk but I wouldn't have him any other way. He eats a 5 oz bottle every 2-4 hours. Has rice cereal with jar food mixed in it at night before bed. I wouldn't worry to much...as long your lil one is healthy thats all that matters :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 7:30 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I hope not. My son is only eight weeks and weighs 14 pounds.
    Anonymous