Does anyone else have this issue?

My FIL's bday is about 2 weeks after my due date (which really is kind of irrelevant but...), my FIL's bday will be celebrated sometime around August 1 - 5. my DH's brother has decided to put together a party for my FIL, which hey is great, but..... he lives in another state, hasn't bothered to decide on a date yet and wants to invite people who will have to take time off work to drive/fly in from other states. I realize it's only May, but some people need more than a couple of weeks to plan on taking time off work. This is not unusual with my DH's family, most of them don't plan anything and then get upset when you can't drop everything and do what they want at the last minute. Does anyone else have this issue?

finallyamom40

Asked by finallyamom40 at 6:47 PM on May. 15, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Sounds like my hubby's family. Sometimes we just can't get to stuff! if they don't tell us until the week of or whatever! Sounds like yours should try to pin down his brother on a date or else (not to be rude), you guys won't be there!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 6:50 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Not anymore. Everyone knows that if they do something last minute don't bother on asking us anymore.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:51 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Politely decline. You don't know for sure when baby is coming. He/She may be two weeks late!

It's just too close to your due date.

If you book a flight assuming the child will arrive on time, and doesn't, are you stuck with tickets?

If you book a flight and your child comes on time but with complications requiring you to take it easy and you wouldn't be able to fly, are you stuck with tickets?

You get the idea.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:52 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I've asked his wife but I get "that's my husband's project I don't know anything about it", which is something else that bothers me, 2 of my 3 SIL's on that side of the family dont' know or do anything just go along because "it's HIS family not mine". I kind of thought when you got married his family was your family, am I wrong?
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 6:53 PM on May. 15, 2009

• my mom is like that. she thinks if she plans something at the last minute everyone can just drop everything and be there. i tell her that with me having 2 teens and a boyfriend i can't jump when she says jump. i love my mom, but she thinks she has to be center of everyones world.
    Anonymous

• Actually the party is here in my hometown, my BIL and family will be coming in, they already have their tickets and will be here for 5 days but still haven't bothered to pin down the date of the party. I'm not going to take my newborn so I will need to get a babysitter (assuming baby doesn't come that late).
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 6:55 PM on May. 15, 2009