A question for believers. Not rying to start anything, I just really want to know your opinions. (the MN couple who refuse chemo for their 13 yr old)

Why would a god who is "good and loving" take the life of a 13 year old boy?

WHY do they call it "god's will" and accept it as such, when a child dies?

Do you think the judge was wrong for over-ruling them, and MAKING them take the boy for treatment?
There was a joke that I heard, that I thought sums it up...

There was a man stranded out in the ocean. He prayed that god would save him. A boat came by, and he refused to come aboard. He said "God will save me". The next day, a helicopter swooped in, again, he refused to go. "God will save me". After several days, the man asked god "Why haven't you saved me?" God spoke to him and said "I sent you a boat and a helicopter! What else do you want?"

I think the doctors and chemotherapy are this boy's "boat and helicopter" so to speak. If I was a believer, I would still take my child for the chemo. This child has a right to life. Opinions?

Jerbear_1974

Asked by Jerbear_1974 at 6:50 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe in separation of church and state also. However, the laws reign over your right to believe in what you want to when it comes to your actions. You can believe in fairies if you want to and no one should be able to tell you that you are wrong. If you kill in the name of fairies though, you have to face the consequences. This family MOST LIKELY didn't want to kill their son. Their actions can be seen as reckless though because they were given all the information and they still proceeded with their choice so they should deal with the consequences.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 7:27 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I think you are right, that God gave us the doctors with the ability to heal people. However, I also believe in the seperation of church and state. The government should not take away that family's right to their religious beliefs. I know that makes me sound like a nut, but that's what I think!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 6:53 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I would take my child for treatment.
    There is a similar case in Wisconsin. A set of parents did not want to treat their daughters diabetes and she passed away from it. They said that God would take care of her, she went in to diabetic shock and died. They are now on trial for her death, I can not remember the charges though,
    It is very sad, I would do anything in my power to save my children, prayer included.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 6:54 PM on May. 15, 2009

• If you're going to ask, you should include all the facts. The couple is not faith healing - they are using alternative medicine. Chemotherapy attacks every cell in your body. It makes you miserably sick and can make you more susceptible to infections that could kill you, even though they would be of little worry to someone else. This case is not about faith - it is about a parent's right to choose how to treat their child's illness. They chose natural methods instead of one created by a pharmaceutical company. It may be less likely to work, but it is still their choice.
    If something happens to the boy while he's on chemo, will the judge be liable? If he dies anyway, but spends the last few months of his life miserable and in pain, is there any restitution?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:58 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I am Christian and I think the judge was right. I think this couple was wrong. I get upset when I hear of JW refusing to let their children have life saving blood transfusions.
    Anonymous

• First, I believe we all write a chart before we come here and we all give ourself "exit points" in them. Therefore, i don't think death has anything to do with god. It has to do with the spirit inside us.
    With that said, I will take my children to the doctor and get them any treatment necessary to save them. Call me selfish, but I want my children to live. I love them and I want them to experience life. That, and I don't want to deal with the pain of having to put one of my children in the ground. However, I agree that the government needs to stay out of it. It is not the governments business if the family really is doing it for religious reasons. However, I think some of it has to do with fear on the part of the parents and child in this situation. It just makes me nervous that they are following a religion whos founder was put in prison for fraud related to some of his "natural" remedies.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:02 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I had a longer post, that included all that, but it only allowed so many letters, so i had to cut it down. But yes, they ARE doing alternative natural medicines. They have also said that with chemo, he has 90% chance of full recovery, but 5% chance with the "natural remedies"
    Jerbear_1974

Answer by Jerbear_1974 at 7:02 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I'm a believer and think the judge was correct. No I don't think it is God's will for a child or anyone to die, having said that I've had family members who have died because they didn't think the doctor was their answer but God was. I believe God uses doctors, gives them wisdom on treating people. I think the thing for any believer (of any religion) is to find a doctor who has the same faith.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 7:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I agree with you NotPanicking. Since children don't always know what is best it is up to the parent's to make the best choices in the interest of their child. I wouldn't know what I would do until I found myself in a situation like that. I think it is pretty easy to judge someone else when you haven't experienced what they have. However, if they didn't allow treatment because God will take care of it...well that is insane IMO. I think God gave us knowledge and skills and we should use them wisely. Doing nothing is true damnation.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 7:10 PM on May. 15, 2009

• See I too get upset when people attribute or say that God does these things.. He doesn't, it's because of our imperfection that we get sick, grow old and die, I have lost my mom, step-mom and 2 brothers to death and Ive heard these Preacher say that God wanted another "Flower" in his bouquet in Heaven so he took them home.... I'm sorry but IMHO God didn't do that!!
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 7:14 PM on May. 15, 2009