Is 66 too old to be a mother?

Elizabeth Adeney - Britain's oldest mother-to-be.
At 66, she is four years older than the previous record holder.

Mrs Adeney, who is around eight months pregnant, is believed to have undergone IVF abroad because most British clinics will not treat women over the age of 50.

Friends say that the divorcee, a wealthy businesswoman who is still working a five-day week, is in perfect health and looking forward to the birth of what is thought to be her FIRST CHILD.

What do you think of this?

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 6:54 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Ewww yes. Poor kid is going to have to bury her mother in a couple yeras
    Anonymous

• http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1182919/A-baby-66-desperate-divorcee-set-Britains-oldest-mother.html

If you want to read the whole story and to see the mother-to-be at 8 months pregnant.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 6:57 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My aunt is 80 and looks like she's 50. She is in terrific shape. My mom says its because she grows her own food. My Aunt Lucille still amazes me to the utmost. She is so strong. So I say go for it. That 60 year old may be in better shape then some of these younguns out here, smoking and drinking and having unprotected sex diseasing {is that a word?} up their bodies and whatnot.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 6:58 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I think anybody that has their first baby after the age of 50 is too old. If they have other children to take over the baby raising when they die then fine not the best but still acceptable.
    There is never a way to guarantee that you will live to raise your children but after 50 you are pretty likely to have a decrease in your health and an increased risk of dying while your child is young..
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:58 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Her views on modern child hood are also probably very outdated and jaded by now. Not that i doubt she is aware. But, i don't think she will have much insight.
    Anonymous

• man...im only 24 and i have trouble keeping up w/ my DD...i cant imagine doing it at 66. more power to her i guess. i would never do it & i can see how its a bad idea, but its none of my business.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:11 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I think its selfish to have a child after 50. You're not thinking about the childs future.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 7:21 PM on May. 15, 2009

i feel the same as you, by the time this kid hits the age of ten he or she will probably become a ward of the government how is that fair to the child to go through this life with out anyone really loving them and caring for their best interest.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 7:32 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Saying oldee women don't have the ability or the health to be a mother is so wrong and so narrow-minded. My grandma was 102 when she died. She flew to visit me when I had my first baby-her first great-grandchild, when she was 93. She went downtown all the time, on the bus, in her 90's,. She knew as much about the current child rasing philosophies and the political details of our time and was more intelligent and informed than the young people around her. There is no reason why a 66 year old woman cannot be an informed,healthy and involved parent. My only worry is the health of the baby and her experience birthing the baby. But saying that she is too old and too out of date to be a mother is really ignorant and shows a prejudice against women who are not young.....like some sexy, wild child in her 20's who thinks she knows everything. @@.
    Anonymous

• An eighty year old trying to deal with a teenager? No way! It doesn't matter how young she looks she is still 66 years old. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 7:58 PM on May. 15, 2009