anyone elses kid's do this?

my son will ask for something, and i'll say no. but he just keeps asking OVER and OVER and OVER until finally i have to raise my voice and then he runs away and whines. anyone else in my position?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 6:56 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yup! its always "mum, mooore mooore moore peeees!" and I am always no honey...then yup...he runs away screaming like I beat him lol
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:58 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Sounds like something my son tried to do. LOL

We caught on and after telling him in a regular voice "no" once, when he asks again, we get VERY seriously in his face (down at his level) and say in our most fearful voice, "NO!"

When he ran off whining, we told him, "NO FIT!" and put him in his playpen. He has learned to suck it up pretty quick. Lately, he doesn't throw the whining fits!

Just yesterday, he was told no on something he wanted really bad. He got tears in his eyes, but didn't keep asking and whining. I told him, "Good job controlling yourself!"

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:02 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Very, very common tactic.
    He gets two possible rewards...
    (1) You might give in and give him what he wants.
    and
    (2) You might get mad and he will enjoy the thrill of making big old you angry. What power!
    The whining is a bonus to see if you will give in anyway and to see if he can get any other reaction out of you.
    Either way, it's a win-win for him... unless you refuse the bait. Tell him "no" once or twice. If he persists, put him in time out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:44 PM on May. 15, 2009