is school a good thing for me right now?

I AM 18 YEARS OLD RIGHT NOW AND MY DAUGHTER IS 2-YEARS OLD IM ABOUT TO GRADGUATE HOME SCHOOL I LIVE WITH MY BABYS DAD AND MY PARENTS. MY BOYFRIEND WORKS AS A MECHANIC AND I WANNA GO TO COLLEGE BUT IM NOT SURE IF I SHOULD BE FOCUSED MORE ON GETTING A FULL-TIME JOB SO WE CAN LIVE ON OUR OWN . IS IT TO SOON TO GO TO COLLEGE OR SHOULD I DO IT KNOW THAT I STILL HAVE MY PEOPLE TO BACK ME UP OR SHOULD I WAIT?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• Girl, GO NOW!!! Let me tell u...I am 32yo, went 2 a private college, got preggers there, got all the way down to 1 class from graduating. Had 2 move due 2 circumstance beyond my control, got preggers AGAIN, time slipped by & here I am. No degree. $27,000 in school debt & can't go back cuz I can't afford it & dnt qualify 4 financial aid! So, now what?! I'm screwed, that's what! So pls, pls, pls go! U have an awesome support system! Dnt let that slip by!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 7:28 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Why can't you go to school and work part-time?
    Anonymous

• Community colleges offer on-line classes too. Look into that, you have to be focused, but they are just as good.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:59 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I think if you go to college for two years, when your child is in pre-school you can get a part-time job for that year and move into a full time job when she is in kindergarten.

If it's possible, and you and your boyfriend are paying your way with your parents, it's best for you to concentrate on college and raising your baby. Adding a part-time job to those two things is a recipe for stress, IMO.

Besides, you live with built-in babysitters to help you if you need some quiet study time. I just think now is the best time to get your college degree. You have a lot of support! Once you're out on your own with a job and child, it's sooo much harder to get to school.

Good luck!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:14 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I FEEL AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A BABYSITTER GO FOR IT!! i'M STARTING COLLEGE UP ON MAY 26TH, IM 19 YRS OLD, WRK FULL TIME, AND IS CURRENTLY A SINGLE PARENT (DUE TO A CERTAIN SITUATION MY BOYFRIEND IS IN RIGHT NOW. ) AND LIVE ON MY OWN. IF I CAN DO IT..SO CAN YOU...I FEEL THAT U GOT IT GOING ON FOR YOURSELF. bUT JUST STAY HOME AS LONG AS POSSIBLE AND MAYBE GET A PART TIME JOB
    mzs3xci1229

Answer by mzs3xci1229 at 7:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• A college degree is your best chance at a solid future; it will also set a great example for your child. I hope that you and your signficant other know how lucky you are that your parents took you and your family in.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:19 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I would suggest that you work part time and find an online program. There are plenty of colleges with online campuses...that way you wouldn't have to spend so much time away from your baby.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:20 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I would go to school.. there aren't many full time jobs available right now, and those that are, require further education. (college).

Most colleges offer day care as well, which is a nice bonus, and since you are unmarried, you can get some great financial aid help..

Besides... waiting will make it hard to get the motivation to go to college..

so I would go now.. the sooner you do it, the sooner you have a BETTER paying job, and a BETTER future for you and your little one.. I wouldn't bother putting that off.. trust me, I speak from experience, I put it off, and now I'm having all sorts of trouble going back.. having to take college entrance exams... that a few years ago, I wouldn't have needed to take based on my SAT scores and my Regents exams... and by now... I could have already finished college, and had a great career.. now I don't.. don't be like me.. go to school young :).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:20 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Seeing there are so few jobs available anywhere, your best bet is to go to school at this time. Getting a college degree would be the best thing for you, don't wait. I wish I would have gone right out of high school, I wouldn't be in the situation I am if I had. I am 37 yrs old and just now returning after "taking a year off". Just go to college, it will be the most important and best decision you make for yourself and your family.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:26 PM on May. 16, 2009