Why are so many people choosing lap band or gastric bypass surgery?

What ever happened to good ole exercise and eating healthier? Isn't the whole reason they got that far overweight is due to lack of exercise and eating healthier? I don't want to say lazy but I feel that surgery is the lazy way out. Do you know how unhealthy it is when you are 80 and already having trouble absorbing nutrients to have a lap band or gastric bypass stomach? Do people think about the future with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I'm sorry the PP got so upset, but I tend to agree with the OP. The easy way seems to be the American way. There are several overweight people in my life whom I love dearly, but I do get tired of the complaining...complaining about being fat, no clothes fit, can't get comfortable in a regular chair, etc. But they won't do anything about it! If they could snap their fingers and have the weight gone, they would, but since it requires effort and commitment, they just aren't willing. Recently I had to refrain from saying something to one of them--I know for a fact that she lives on fast food, as well as greasy southern cooking, doesn't exercise, drinks soda and fruit-flavored drinks all the time. She told me a few weeks ago that she's getting the surgery. I was literally biting my tongue. I can't believe people would rather do that than get healthy with diet and exercise.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:30 PM on May. 16, 2009

• i agree, i had a bad dream about the surgery for a friend and warned us!
    Anonymous

• I think statements like yours are uneducated. You obviously have not read about the lap band and what the work entailed is all about.

Yes, I have dieted and lost some, then gained it back. I chose to have the band placement to have a tool that helps me to eat SMALL portions. Yes, I am eating healthy foods (DIETING, just as everyone else diets) and I exercise daily. I opted to have this tool with me to keep me on the losing track. This is WORK and is in NO WAY an easy out. Statements like yours really piss me off.

Yes, I thought about my future, what a stupid question. That's the reason I did this. To finally lose the weight, lose the Diabetes and live longer for my SON!

to be continued...
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 12:48 AM on May. 16, 2009

• You want to lecture people, but you're in NO position to pass judgement on what other people do for themselves. I am very educated with the lap band placement and when you eat as your doctors and nutritionists teach you...you are getting the proper nutrients. And with the lap band, I'll hopefully live to 80.

I hate the narrow-mindedness that comes from having this surgery and I really hate telling people sometimes because of stupid statements like this.

Please don't bother responding to me - I'm not returning to the post. You asked a question, stated your opinion (without the proper homework done) and I responded.
    rio_burb