I think I may have came into contact with CMV (Cytomegalovirus) Help! Any Advice??

I am very worried about catching CMV..thats if I havent already caught it. I learned that you should very cautious around preschoolers. Cytomegalovirus can spread by coming into contact with any ifected person bodily fuid such as saliva, urine and feces. I have my 2 toddlers in my home (step son and nephew) who attend preschool and now I am very worried. Is there anyone who have had with this virus while pregnant and if so what was the outcome.

*30 weeks pregnant

*Doctors appt next week

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nothing you can do
    Anonymous

• Why do you suspect you've caught it?
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:33 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I think I have caught the virus because 20-60% of preschoolers carry the virus. I have a one year old and a four year old staying with me at the time that attend preschool. And the virus can be easily caught from kissing on my little nephew or sharing a snack with him. And last but not least CMV can cause a child to become deaf, a child can die and it causees mental retardation.
    Anonymous

• Ok...I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old, both of which attend daycare.

But that doesn't mean they have it, or even have come into contact with it. Unless you're exhibiting clear SIGNS that you have it, I think you're being a little paranoid.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:51 PM on May. 15, 2009

• you many not have any symptoms with this viurs many have it and dont know they have it. It is not dangerous to a toddler but is life threatening to a fetus. I sure hope I am being paranoid and worrying about nothing.
    Anonymous

• I think you are sweets- I mean, I've heard of it before, and know it can be symptomless, but don't worry yourself to death!
    I mean, there are soooo many other things that you have a higher likelihood of catching....just practice good hygiene, which I'm sure you do with 2 toddlers, and I think you'll be ok. :)
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I was very worried about CMV in my later pregnancies and found that not many people knew about it or understood it. I felt that OBs did not even warn pregnant patients about it. It is one of the reasons I do not think I will have any more children (I have 5 and had one m/c between 4 and 5) Anyway when I am pregnant I have severe anxiety about it and have yet to ever meet anyone that shared this. Anyhow I have a journal post that is trying to bring awareness to CMV, http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1553464/CMV_Awareness_What_all_women_of_childbearing_years_need_to_know
    PM me if you want to talk and I hope your baby was born healthy.
    Carly67

Answer by Carly67 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 29, 2009