baby shower blues...

ok just kinda venting...my baby shower is tomarrow, ive been checkin my registries no one has bought anything, so far people are just canceling on coming and everyone knows that we cant afford to get anything cuz we are broke so what they dont get our baby wont have...im freaking out!!!! has this ever happened to anyone?

dilemma1

Asked by dilemma1 at 7:27 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• dont freak out yet, no one really used my registy either but i still got plenty of stuff off the list, they just didnt update it as they bought it. and what you dont get, look for on craigs list or consignment. my mother in law has found really excellent deals there!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 7:31 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Well, a baby shower isn't MANDATORY...they aren't REQUIRED to purchase things for you or your baby.
    If people are canceling, chances are, something came up and they can't make it....

And not everyone always comments to baby registries when buying...I never brought anyone anything off their registry....I brought gift cards, that way they could spend it on what THEY wanted.

If you're finding that the majority of people aren't able to come, why not plan your baby shower for another time?

There are plenty of places that can help you if you have no income when your baby comes and can supply you with things. Your baby won't just 'go without'.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:32 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I refused to let anyone have a shower for me; I was just not comfortable. We bought most baby items second hand; had lots of hand-me-downs; and generally worked with what we had.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:39 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Okay calm down first...I know this can be frustrating but you MUST remember that baby showers themselves are gifts. They are NOT required and no one HAS to give you anything. After all it is YOUR responsibility to provide for this child not theirs.

With that being said I understand being disappointed. Over 35 people RSVPed to my shower & then at the last minute several people cancelled because of the Swine Flu. I thought people were WAY over reacting about it but what can you do?

Also not everyone pays attention to the registry. I ALWAYS do because I think it's rude not to unless your planning on buying a gift card when you've been told where they are registered but that's just me. A TON of people bought stuff that wasn't on my registry. Some stuff I won't use. That's what they make gift recipes for.

For example someone bought me a whole case of formula & I breastfeed my kids so I took it back & got something I need
    Anonymous

• Yea as for your registry I learned on my first shower not to even look at it cause it will drive you crazy. But I'm with one lady that said I always buy from the register cause someone took the time to register for what they want and need but a lot of people don't or if they do they don't tell the checkout its off a register so it doesn't mark off. A few people also said that a baby shower isn't mandatory. I have been lucky to have a great family and friends to throw me baby showers but some people don't think they are neccisary or presumptious. Some people cancel cause to cause they can't afford to get you anything and they don't want to show up empty handed. It will work out.
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 8:27 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Yes the baby shower I had in april 4, which was my second baby shower it sucked ..all the people that were suppose to be there didnt show and I was so pissed. I only got a few things too. Not exactly what I needed either..which made me more upset. I had to use my pay off debt money to buy the sheets for the crib and the changing table and other stuff too. That sucked I didnt pay my debts off. Little by little me and my husband have been getting things cause low in money here too. I bought clothes too nobody give us clothes...people are mean, canceling at last minute sucks too. I did the samething watch my registery as well. Sorry that it happens I know your pain trust me !!!
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 9:27 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I just had my baby shower and hardly anyone bought anything from the registry. I still got a ton of clothes and wipes and necessity stuff, which is great, but I still have alot to get. I was worried about it as well, because I don't have much money either..but what I plan to do is shop the rummage sales this summer.. you can find some really great deals. Also, whatever you don't get from the baby shower, write down a list of the things that you actually NEED, that way you know what you need to get first and etc. I bought my bedding set on craigslist, it was soooo affordable and really cute. There's nothing wrong with buying stuff cheap stuff. You can also find really good deals at the consignment shops! good luck!
    Anonymous

• I hate when people don't buy off registries or give gift cards. Its so rude! They are the ones that tend to give you cheap dollar store or some homemade item that does nothing but add to your household clutter. This happened to my best friend. Luckily for me, I got mostly gift cards which worked out really well.

But to the people who said no one is required to buy stuff for a baby shower, I disagree. We all take turns buying things for other baby showers, and when its your turn, you should get stuff in return. And using a stupid excuse like the swine flu is rediculous. If you went to their shower, they ought to go to yours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 AM on May. 16, 2009