could i have given shaken baby syndrome?

my son is not old enough to hold his head up on his own yet and we live out in the country. i was pulling out of my driveway a while ago and hit some pretty big ruts. it wasnt a huge bump but his carseat got jerked around quite a bit. he has a head protector for his carseat but i looked through my mirror and his little head jerked around hard. i am so worried about shaken baby syndrome. he never woke up from his nap the whole time and is acting fine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sure he is but I would take him into the doctor for a check up to make sure his eye sight and all that is okay. SBS can always mess up their eye sight...its okay mommy just go get him checked ok?
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:39 PM on May. 15, 2009

• not always I meant also
    Bugsmommy1908

• Are you being forreal???? I doubt that you could have jerked him around enough to cause SBS! Do you know the cause? You have to SHAKE the baby to cause it! And I am sure he could have cried if there was as problem!
    Anonymous

• IMO if you are worried go get him checkesd. noone is gonna fault you for being worried , it was a bumpy road, you didnt do it on purpose
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:44 PM on May. 15, 2009

• No, babies are pretty durable....I have gone over MANY MANY road bumps and potholes, and neither of my kids has SBS. You have to INTENTIONALLY shake a baby and shake him pretty hard for him to get SBS.

That's why its such a horrific thing...because of the sheer force you must exhibit in order to do damage.

If he didn't wake up, I'd say he's fine. Babies will DEFINITELY let you know when something's bothering them!
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:08 PM on May. 15, 2009

• No you couldn't have given him shaken baby from some pot holes. Shaken baby comes from shaking the baby so that his brain would smash against his skull and cause trauma. And car seats are made to protect in a crash... so I think a few pot holes should be safe!
    If his car seat is bouncing around that much though you better make sure it's tight enough in the car. The base shouldn't move more than an inch along the belt path (the part that is against the back of the seat)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:19 AM on May. 16, 2009