Does your child go to a Montessori?

I am very interested in Montessori schools and agree with alot of their teaching techniques and alot of Maria Montessori's ideas. The one thing I have a problem with, is children being discouraged from "imagination" and pretend. This is mentioned in alot of literature regarding Montessori principles. My question is, do you recognize this in present day Montessori classrooms? How do you feel about it? What else can you tell me about your experiences with a Montessori? Thanks so much!

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 7:38 PM on May. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter was in a Montessori based program for kindergarten and first grade. It was not the right enviroment for her. For second grade she was accepted into an academically advanced public school that was a much better fit for her; she needed the faster-paced,more regimented environment.
    You may want to explore Waldorf; the philosphy may be a better match for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:44 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My son loved the Montessori program. He is highly gifted and it fostered his freedom too. However, not every Montessori is a true Montessori. Some of them use the name to attract people, but do not practice the principles. Here is a link that can help you identify a legitimate program.

http://www.montessori.org/sitefiles/finding_the_right_school.pdf

momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 7:59 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i homeschool now but i went to a montessori school (edgemont montessori in nj) and i loved it- i dont remember being discouraged to pretend though- as a matter of fact- all we did all day was learn through imagination and pretend- they have u "role play" certain things such as grocery store and house and so on- we learned through working with animals and hands on play instead of all day writing and memorizing facts- i loved it- im 24 now and when i look back on the way my school was i think that is the best way for a child to learn- oh and i went there from pre k to 5th grade
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:38 PM on May. 15, 2009