7 weeks old and spoiled?

My two month old wont go to sleep unless i'm holding him and he usually cries when someone else is holding him. Could I have him spoiled at such an early age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont think so but if he wont sleep unless you are holdign him then that will cause problems later.
    Anonymous

• Nope. Impossible. That baby doesn't even know what spoiled is yet. Right now all he knows is that he wants his mama.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:46 PM on May. 15, 2009

• a baby cannot be spoiled! everyone thought that DS was spoiled....he just wanted his mommy to feel secure. the worl is brand new to babies and they do not know whether their mommies and daddies are going to come back to protect them when they are laying in their cribs or wherever they sleep.
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 7:48 PM on May. 15, 2009

• well you did "spoil" him by carrying him around for 9 months inside you... sweetie, you can't spoil a 7 week old. He is just use to you carrying him around. after all, your heart beat, smell and warmth are all he knew since conception. It would be silly to want to give up everything you knew without a screaming, crying fight ;-)
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 7:51 PM on May. 15, 2009

• You just have a higher needs baby thats all, they go from a dark kinda quiet(muffled) warm place to a loud, bright, colder world...its scary your smell is the only thing familiar when it goes too far away hes terrified
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:56 PM on May. 15, 2009

• No. Babies come the way they come. People told me that same thing with my first child, so I listened and let her cry it out. Two and a half hours later, I decided that they had simply never had a child as persistant as mine. That is when I discovered the cosleeper. You do have to break them eventually, but right now--you need your sleep too. It makes you a better mom.
    batikeggartist

Answer by batikeggartist at 7:58 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Nah, your baby just wants mama love! Most experts say you can't spoil a newborn/infant. They also say babies have the ability to soothe themselves to sleep around 4-6 months... but that all depends on the baby!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:00 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Absolutely NOT possible. Your baby needs your security and comfort.

Tabi cat....its not higher maintenance its a SEVEN Week old baby. They don't know the difference.

ANON.....don't be an idiot and say that it will cause problems later on. They NEED to be held not left alone.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I wish I hadn't listened to everyone when they were telling me that my infants were spoiled...because of that, they cried a lot more than they needed to.

While I don't agree with picking up and holding your child EVERYTIME they cry, at this point, a 7 week old doesn't have the mental capacity to be spoiled- their memory can't remember that 'oh, if I cry, mommy will hold me!'.

So hold him when he wants to be held WITHIN reason, but also give him chances to become used to other people. And wearing him might be an idea that you want to consider, that way he's close, but you have your arms and hands free.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:06 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Look through some parenting books. It is not possible to spoil a baby. Just love him and hold him all he wants.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:26 PM on May. 15, 2009