What do you think about a child having to take Ritalin?

Because the child's teachers don't want to deal with the child at school? I am personally against this. I am sure that some will say that it depends on the situation and in that case I would just have to homeschool my child. Why is it so wrong for kids to be kids these days??? Why would so many people prefer to just drug children so that they will act the way that they feel like they should act??? What is this world coming to???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on May. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• its stupid. i took it and couldnt eat anything unless i "forgot" to take it. i am sure there are other meds out there that are better for add or adhd
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 7:58 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I completely agree, since when is it the teachers job to diagnose a child with ADD or ADHD??? I think it has gotten out of control, if a child doesnt do exactly what the teacher says they have ADHD! My son doesnt always listen, and he is really outgoing but I love that about his personality! He is 4 years old, and in preschool and his teacher told me I should have him tested for ADHD!!! Forreal, he is only 4 years old and has never been in daycare or preschool until this year so no he didnt know how to act when it wasnt one on one, there was 19 other kids! Something should really be done about these teachers1
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 8:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• There are so many alternate ways of dealing with attention issues; medication should be the last resort. There are therapist who can teach children and adults how to use ADD/ADHD to their advantage; there are supplements, like hemp oil, that can improve attention; many kids are helped by dietary means, like following the Feingold diet or simply eating a diet of whole, organic foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:05 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I am TOTALLY against it! Both of my children have Autism, and I refuse to sedate them, just to make it easier for me or their teachers! Children (regardless of their issues) need to LEARN how to behave. If they are "zoned out" and passive, how do they learn, and what are the long-term affects of these ADULT medications?!

Children, especially boys, NEED to move about and explore their environment, and are very much capable of learning good behavior--it doesn't happen overnight, and there are many ups and downs with the process, but I feel the payoff will be great! :o)

Now, my children are only 7 & 5, and if/when we get to the hormonal teen years, and they need help processing all of what is going on, and can express their feelings both with me and an experienced psychotherapist trained in ASD, then MAYBE we'll consider it, but only as a "bridge" to help them through any "rough patches" not as a life long supplement.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I both agree and disagree with the above statements. I was totally against medication myself until I worked in a Preschool setting for 3 years, and encountered a 5 year old boy who had ADHD. I was not his teacher by the way, but I saw him daily, and let me tell you, his meds. helped him tremendously. One a couple of occassions, his mom forgot to give him his meds before dropping him off, and by lunch time, he literally was so hyperactive that he looked and acted just miserable. It was as if he had no control over his body whatsoever. It broke my heart to see him that way. But, on his meds. he was fine. He was calmer, able to learn, and didn't get into fights with the other kids. Teachers don't need to try to diagnose a child, but they can help the parents work with the pediatrician to come up with an answer. I have a 10 year old son who is on Vyvanse. He needs it. Not just because of the hyperactivity, but without it, he
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:45 PM on May. 15, 2009

• just cannot learn because his focus/attention span is so off kilter. Also, without it, he becomes extremely angry and can't control his temper. The Vyvanse is the last med. we've tried and it works with no side effects. He was on Ritalin first, but that caused facial tics, and we tried every other kind with similar side effects as well. Anywhere from the tics to a zombie like state. I couldn't allow him to live like that, but thank God, the pediatrician finally put him on Vyvanse, and it has worked wonders. Some kids just need a little help. Yes, he still acts like every other boy, but he is able to control his actions and learn a little easier. Don't be so quick to judge.....Like I said, I too was against medicating, but I ended up eating my words.....
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:49 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Ritalin. Just another way the pharmaceutical companies profit by drugging up children.

My nephew (SILS son) is on it. She gives it to him when he is hyper. It makes me mad. Aren't kids supposed to play? Be energetic? Why do you want him lethargic? I just don't get it. We were there for Christmas and after he took his meds he was zoned out, staring at the walls.

babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:14 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i totally agree with u- my sisters teachers are trying to do this right now- they had my mom take her (shes 14) to a doc to see if she has any problems because she doesnt pay enough attention in school now that doc says she has add and adhd and that she needs to be on ritalin- my mother said hell no! lol- ritalin is the reason my stepson has the issues he has- his mom didnt want to deal with him so when he was 4 yrs old and showing the normall 4 yr old hyperness she convinced a doc that there was something wrong with him and got him put on that mess- he was on it for like 5 yrs and that messed up his mind- now hes 18 with the mind of a 12 or 13 yr old all because of that drug
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:24 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I too am converted. I was totally against medication. 100% until I went to University and began to study developmental Psych.

The truth of the matter is for children with ADD/ADHD their brains are chemically imbalanced and all the behavioral therapy in the world can't make that 100% right. All the research (independant research) indicates that children are best served in the long term with medication + behavioral and cognative therapy.

Those of you who don't know children with ADD and don't parent them, it's easy for you to say 'drugging your kids is bad'. You have no idea what these children struggle with though. No one would say 'no you shouldn't give insulin to a diabetic' but by depriving them of the medications that help their body work properly that's exactly what a blanket statement like that does.

TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 10:38 PM on May. 15, 2009

• It makes me sad for child, Because it is not necessary, whose to say a child has ADHD or is just naturally a very creative imaginative little boy who doesn't like to sit down?, or if they really do have a disorder, change their diet, a lot of ingredients in foods now trigger behavioral problems, I am a witness to my little brother whom my mother pulled out of school because they too wanted to drug him, we change his diet (and ours too), After not eating anything with artificial colors, flavors preservatives he not only felt better he looked better , land his anger fits were a thing of the past, food is your best medicine, stay close to nature, it will never fail you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on May. 16, 2009