How old for allowance? How much?

My kids, especially my 9yo, want to start earning an allowance. My biggest problem with that is, I'm broke all the time. I think they should help out whether they get paid or not, but I did get allowance growing up and I can understand wanting their own money. The only thing I can think of is cutting out some fast food (we already don't do that much), or something to be able to afford allowance. Anyways, how old, how much? What do they do to earn it?

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 8:09 PM on May. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• well i think that if you have the extra money then go for it. a small allowance for a 9yo is ok. once your 9yo gets older though he will expect a bigger and better one
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 8:14 PM on May. 15, 2009

• We wrestled with this.
    We don't get paid for doing the laundry, taking out the garbage, and other household chores; we do them because we live here and they need to be done. So we certainly were not going to pay our child for doing chores.
    However, we have jobs and we are paid to do them; when we do a really great job, sometimes we get a bonus. Our daughter's job is to go to school and get good grades, so we pay for grades; She is currently in the second year of a six year high school program (the same high school Michele Obama attended); she gets $20 for an A; $10 for a B; nothing for a C; -$10 for a D and -$20 for an F. She gets a $20 bonus for being a principle's scholar (based on GPA) and a $50 for honor roll (based on letter grade).

Answer by rkoloms at 8:18 PM on May. 15, 2009

• One dollar for each year old! I will start with my daughter when she asks, right now at 2 and half she just wants to raid mommy's purse fo "MONIES!!!" lol
    HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 8:18 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I forgot to mention that half of what she earns goes to her savings account. This is also true of the money she earns babysitting (she is Red Cross certified and charges $7 and hour).

Answer by rkoloms at 8:19 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Allowance taught my kids to be greedy and they got the wrong message for it. It taught them that they could not do a favor for anybody unless they was getting something in return for it. I find that just giving them a small allowance for good behavior works better, cuts down on the fussing and fighting, and bad behavior problems.
    Anonymous

• i would say go for it- some people think an allowance will teach greed or teach that u have to get something for ur work- um duh people! wut do u want ur child to grow up without knowing the value of a dollar or the pride u feel when u get that hard earned dollar? i think that an allowance is a normal healthy milestone in a childs life and it doesnt have to be much- i would say 50 cents for each year of the childs life so for a 9 yr old 4.50- or if u want to round it to 5 bucks go ahead- the point is- if ur child can learn how great it feels to get a little something for their work and learn how to manage their money (like ok so u have 10 dollars saved up- u can get 2 5 dollar toys or u can get 1 10 dollar toy or so on and so forth) then i dont think that that would be harmful- and like i said it doesnt have to be like 100 bucks a week that will break u- u can do pocket change- good luck with that!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My 9 year old gets an allowence. She can earn up to $10/week. $5 based on EXTRA chores (she still has to do her core chores no matter what) and $5/week based on school related things (Getting all her home work done, acing a test, doing extra work).

This systems worked extremely well for me personally.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 10:21 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I've never given my kids an allowance. They get money when they ask for it. If I gave them an allowance on Friday by Saturday they'd be asking me for money anyway. So why bother. Especially in the summer.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 11:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• They need money to learn how to manage it.If you are broke do a every 2 week allowance of a small amount 5-7.00.Something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on May. 17, 2009