IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO FOR MY 1 WEEK OLD BABY IF HE'S CONSTIPATED?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when was his last bowel movement?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:15 PM on May. 15, 2009

• a little diluted apple juice maybe. that worked for my DS
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 8:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• HE WNT A LIL EARLIER BUT IT WASNT MUCH AT ALL
    kimmie123

Answer by kimmie123 at 8:19 PM on May. 15, 2009

• if he is going, even a little bit, then just let it be. apple juice or any juice is too dilute and it is easy to strangle the baby. if he becomes constipated to the point where he is pulling his legs up and crying, then call the dr. and ask about a suppository laxative. I don't know how early you can give them those. but i would suggest calling and talking to the dr. or nurse to see what is safe to give him at that age. good luck i hope he feels better.

also, is it loose stool, or is it hard?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:26 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Chances are he's fine. Don't give him juice. He's too young. Even if it was a little he still went. If it seem like he strains that's normal. Babies that young don't have full control over their internal sphincters yet. Are u BFing if u are then babies can go for days without pooping. If u too worried call the doc.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:28 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My son had this same problem, and my father in law ( a physician) had me put a tablespoon of Karo syrup in his bottle and it did the trick. The sugar in the Karo syrup promotes digestion bacteria or something like that, My FIL told me what it does but I can't remember anymore.
    Lacymarie

Answer by Lacymarie at 9:51 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Its normal for babies not to poop every day. For my DD it was gas, not constipation that was bothering her (even though it would be days in between bowel movements). Its too soon for juice. If he is pulling his legs up and crying, try pedaling his feet to work out the gas, laying him on his tummy and rubbing his back, bouncing him lightly on your shoulder, or you can give him Mylecon drops (gas drops, safe for any age) or gripe water (make sure its WITHOUT belladonna). Also, I found out my DD had a problem with me drinking milk when I BF'd, and when I started formula I had to switch her to the lactose free milk formula. But if it is constipation, talk to your doctor - they know whats safe to give a baby that young. Sorry that got a little long, my DD was a fussy one and I tried everything I just listed (and more). Sometimes it worked, sometimes not - good luck :)
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 11:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• DON"T DO KARO!!! Look it up (even on the Karo website) and it will tell you there is a possibility of botulism spores in Karo which will kill an infant if infected and it is no longer to be used for infants ever!

It is also too soon for juice, even cut with water. The best thing you can do is breastfeed, breastfeed, breastfeed. If the stools are pellet like then it is constipation and you should contact your doctor, if not, baby is not constipated and everything is aok.

Anonymous

• agree, no Karo syrup. My cousins baby got very ill from Karo Syrup...My Doctor, Pediatrician, nor my nutritionist recommended using that. they said that is a BIG NO-NO!!
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:35 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Yeah I wouldn't do Karo syrup...that's an old school trick and there are to many risks involved....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:01 AM on May. 16, 2009