how to wean from brestfeeding? How long does it take milk to dry up? I am pumping only 1 time at night now, and have been for the past few days. Whats the next step?

Breastfeeding weaning

newmom179

Asked by newmom179 at 8:26 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Did you know that the World Health Organization (without the influence of the dairy and formula industries, like American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months?
    My daughter weaner her self just before she turned two; it took close to a year for the milk production to completely stop.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:45 PM on May. 15, 2009

• but I need to have surgery Have a hernia nd need to loose weight with adipex diet pill or get a tummy tuck done and hernia repair! I'm tired of still looking pregnant! I have about 25 30 lbs to loose! I feel horrible and fat and ugly!!
    newmom179

Answer by newmom179 at 9:13 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Are you just pumping one time or are you also breastfeeding on top of that? If you are only pumping once in the whole 24 hours then you can just stop pumping. Or, you can gradually pump less and less each day.
    For breastfeeding drop one feeding a week until you are down to zero. Drop the easiest ones first. For example, if toddler really wants to nurse first thing every morning, then don't try and drop that one first.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:22 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I am weaning, too. Does your baby take a bottle or a sippy cup? My dd doesn't mind bottles, so we stopped nursing during the day. Now we only have one in the morning and one at night. Going to drop the night one last, I think she likes that one the best. I have stopped pumping, except when I am really full. My body seems to adjust to how much she needs. Not sure on how long it takes milk to dryup completely. Remember, no matter what people sayon here about b/f'ing recommendations, you must do what is right for you and your baby!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 9:43 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I do not feed from the breast anymore at all, He bites! He drinks organic whole milk etc during the day and doen't drink from a sippy cup yet, we tried and he chews on the nipple and milk spills down his neck etc, and the other ones the holes are too big. and It spills milk although they say spill proof, He also eats baby food and other stuff cheerious etc. Not any table food yet though.
    newmom179

Answer by newmom179 at 10:42 PM on May. 15, 2009

• SO if hes not actually nursing anymore you need to wean from the pump and you only pump once...ok go get some sage pills or sage tea and just take those many times a day and cut back on how long you pump...cut back from 20 min to 15 then to 10 then to 5 then to none....you can do it just do it graudally and the fact that hes not on the breast make sit easier to wean....sage pills and teas will dry you up if taken regularly
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:17 AM on May. 16, 2009