Macaroni & cheese is a well balanced meal?

Why do some moms feel mac & cheese and nuggets is a well balanced meal? It only takes a few extra minutes to feed your child properly.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on May. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well if you use whole grain pasta and throw in some broccoli it would be healthier.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:30 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Sometimes I think it's a money issue...also it's "kid friendly." I don't think it's bad to have mac and cheese and nuggets as long as that isn't what they're eating ALL the time. But then again I make my own chicken nuggets, so they aren't so full of crap....
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:36 PM on May. 15, 2009

• um...because it is thank you. you got your grains and dairy in mac and cheese. you got poultrey in chicken nuggets. some kids wont eat everything you set out for them. they eat what they need. and it is not a reflection of bad parenting if your child eats only certain things on certain days. its kids being kids. i would like to see you miss anonymous to feed 4 kids plus you and your spouse on a limited budget. you will come to find out that not everyone is lucky enough to buy name brand food. you will come to find out that mac and cheese and chicken nuggets are easy when you and your spouse have a full time job and it is the quickest thing to make when you are searching for something quick and easy for dinner. leave other mothers alone and do NOT judge them. what right do you have to judge other people? it is immature and childish. are we in high school again?
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 8:36 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I don't buy the "junk food is cheap and easy" argument. And I don't believe that picky eaters are born, when kids go through picky stages some parents are so afraid that their kid will starve, they will feed them anything just to get them to eat. It is no wonder that the US has such high rates of obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
    We eat home-cooked foods made from fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils and tofu. We eat foods that taste great, are good for us, and are easy on the budget. If anyone would like meal ideas or recipes, please contact me.
    -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 8:42 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I am on a limited budget. A very limited budget. I cannot work for medical reasons and my husband works at a very dangerous job. We bring home only $1100 a month. well after we pay our bills and insurance, we have only around $200 for groceries. We have diapers, wipes, and stuff to buy with that $200. So I buy what I can to FEED my kids. I feel as long as they are eating something then my kids will thrive. I buy V8 juice with fruit to substitute what my son refuses to eat and they take multivitamins. I feel they are properly feed and nourished. maybe you should worry about feeding your own family and not every one else's. you really have problems.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:45 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Nothing wrong with mac & cheese and chicken nuggets as long as it isn't eaten at every meal every day. Everything in moderation. We have mac & cheese (usually the boxed variety) once a week because it's easy and relatively cheap. It takes 3 boxes to feed my family so that's like $3 compared to making it from scratch which costs me about $8 for 1 meal. When I have the money and time I make my own with Velveeta cheese, milk, onion, smoked sausage and pasta (whole grain if I have it).
    We have chicken nuggets once a week usually, too. They are 100% white meat, breaded but cooked in the oven. Sounds pretty healthy to me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:00 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Why do you care what other people feed their children? Mind your own business.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:31 PM on May. 15, 2009

• By adding vegetables or a salad, it will be. And what do you care how someone else feeds their kids, it's not your business.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My mac and cheese is! It has spinach, and it's not hidden. Whole wheat macaroni, good quality cheese, spinach, and we usually serve it with a side of peas. I wouldn't serve chicken nuggets with it, because I'd rather have an extra fruit or vegetable. She already would be having a protein (cheese) and fat (cheese).
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:08 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Actually imo, Junk food most times epecially the processed ready to eat stuff is more expensive than healthier stuff. But whole wheat pasta is fine and REAL CHEESE. Velvetta is not cheese, ppl. its a cheese product. Serving it alone, is not well balanced. but as a small side dish is fine.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:16 PM on May. 15, 2009