dialation question.

I'm just curious, when do you usually start to dialate? and is there any way to tell if you are ?

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 8:29 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• some women don't dilate until they are in labor. I dilated at 37 weeks with my son and I was 1cm then. When I went in labor with him I was 3 cm. But it still took 25 hours of labor to get to 10cm.
    there is no way for YOU yourself to tell unless you are trained or explained by your doctor in detail to know what you are feeling for. usually the doctor tells you when you go in to be examined.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:31 PM on May. 15, 2009

• it really depends. some women will start dialating very early and others not until labor is about to begin. mostly though, around full-term (36-38 weeks). i wouldn't worry about how dialated you are. Doctors will check around 37 weeks. Midwives normally don't check unless necessary.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:33 PM on May. 15, 2009

• You CAN check for dialation yourself. But its generally not a good idea. You could accidently give yourself a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis from unclean hands, and besides, you'd have really NO clue what exactly you're checking for. Better that be left to a professional.

Dialation is not something you can feel, so you can't tell when you have. You can start to dialate as early as 33 weeks or as late as 41. It varies. Also the amount varies. I didn't dialate at all with my first DD, even AFTER my water broke (I wasn't effaced either), but with my second DD, I walked around at 2 1/2 cm dialted and 75% effaced for about 4 weeks.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:34 PM on May. 15, 2009

• There is a website that tells you step by step how to check but i wouldnt reccomend it. Without the medical training you dont know what your looking for to begin with. If you want to know if you are then just ask your doctor to check at your next appointment. But dont get to excited if they tell you that you are dilated because you can start and be stuck at 1 or 2 cm for weeks before you go into labor. But if you want to know that website here it is.http://www.ehow.com/how_4609939_do-cervical-check-dilation-yourself.html if you do decide to check yourself then make sure you wash your hands super good right before and after you check.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:39 PM on May. 15, 2009

• your water may break first. so be prepared! and walk alot to dialite @ 2 weeks early before due date!
    newmom179

Answer by newmom179 at 8:45 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My midwife taught me how to check my cervix (she's awesome most of the time) This site is the best that I have found... Just be VERY careful, make sure your hands are beyond clean .... :-)

http://prepforlabor.tripod.com/id14.html
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 8:49 PM on May. 15, 2009