Will a child just give up a pacifier when they are ready or do you need to take it away?

Hayz71101

Asked by Hayz71101 at 8:37 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my DS only used a paci for a couple months until he found his thumb. after that he prefered his thumb to anything. i think that kids give it up when they feel ready enough to do so. how many kids have you seen in kindergarden with a paci in their mouths? lol
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 8:39 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Some kids will give it up themselves others need a little help letting it go. Im going to let my son have one when he is born but when he is around 1 im going to work on him not having it all the time. I hate seeing kids that are older and still sucking on them. But thats just me. =)
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:43 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Once my son turned 1, I started throw away his pacifiers. He didn't miss them.
    Anonymous

• Once they start to walk, get rid of them.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i just took them away and my son didn't seem to mind
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 9:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Mine all got rid of them on thier own, they were around 2-2 1/2 but at the point it was only for bed and nap's if they were still taking them. Some babies/toddlers just have a stronger need to suck, and I would much rather it be a passy and not thier thumbs, I can't exactly take a thumb away.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:33 PM on May. 15, 2009

• It depends entirely on the child. Some will refuse it after a few months, some will hand it to you one day and never look back, some will fight tooth and nail to keep it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:35 PM on May. 15, 2009

• From my experience, you have to take it away, my SIL is raising her granddaughter, she just turned 5, she still has hers! She says she's going to put it in her book bag when she goes to school!! I always took them about 2 or 2-1/2.....it took a couple of days for them to get over it and give up asking for it. But then it's over! You have to go through that couple of days sooner or later.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:37 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I took all of my kids' away, my third child was the one that really didn't notice, my fourth and last also seemed to not have any problems, but my second that was more introverted and was my quiet calm child had a harder time, my first wasn't on them. I think it does depend on the temperament of the child, but with most things it's always good the parent control the situation enough to where they take away things and introduce new things. Mine were all off both pacifiers and bottles between 7-9 months old and switched them to cups, no sucking.  Every child and parent is different, :-) do what you think is best.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:58 PM on May. 15, 2009

• my daughter gave hers up on her own free will at age 2 and 1 week old. she wanted a talking doll at the toy store and i told her if she threw her beebees away and gave them to the trashman i would get her the doll-we came home, she went in the cupboard took out a walmart bag and collected her beebees and put them in the trash-never asked for them again.
    my son is 20 months old and only uses a bink for nap/bedtime. he had some dental issues and it was mandatory we limit the use of the bink. the dentist/surgeon that fixed his teeth suggested we cut a small amount off the tip of the bink and then cut more off the next week and by week 3 the kid is not supposed to want the bink anymore WELL I did this and about 10 min after i cut the binks my son asked "mommy bee bee" and I set one on the table...he picked it up and examined it, tried to stick his finger in the hold and then threw it on the floor said "yuck"-no more bink!
    MOMMIE-O

Answer by MOMMIE-O at 10:45 PM on May. 15, 2009