How do I get these fake nails off??

They seem to be pretty well fused on. I know that eventually they'll just come off (I had them done a few years ago for a wedding, and they did fall off at some point) but they are driving me nuts. I'm chicken to just rip them off. Any tips? (No pun intended. LOL)

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 8:53 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I've been a manicurist for 15yrs. What everyone has told you is the right answer:) Acetone will remove acrylic. Make sure you use a glass bowl to put the acetone in because it will melt right through a plastic bowl. Also, you need to let them soak for a good 15 minutes before you start scraping the acrylic off. It will turn mushy and you'll be able to just scrape it off in layers. So soak, scrape, soak, scrape, until there is just a very thin layer that you can just buff off. That is the healthiest way for your nails. The less filing you do on your nailbed the better. After you get them off, make sure and wash your hands, then apply lotion and use a block buffer to bring the shine back to your nails. Good luck:)
    TwinMomma2006

Answer by TwinMomma2006 at 1:59 AM on May. 16, 2009

• soak them in acetone and file the rest of the acrylic off.
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 9:01 PM on May. 15, 2009

• That's exactly what I'm doing tonight. Removing my gel nails, pain in the butt.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 9:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• what i did to get mine off was soak them in hot water and then add some nail polish remover. it seemed to loosen the glue a little so i could take them off from the side of my nail easier. it didnt hurt as bad either. or you could go to the nail salon and have them take them off. but they hurt!
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 9:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Just keep soaking them in acetone and then use cotton soaked in acetone to wipe the rest off. And for something like wraps I'd use the stuff you can get at home depot, the really good acetone that isn't 70%. I worked in a lab for a long time and our reagent grade acetone would take those things off faster than anything, and it's cheap. I wouldn't use it for regular nail polish, just because it is really strong, but as a one time thing for wraps it shouldn't be a big deal.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:06 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Too bad I'm not even girly enough to have nail polish remover in the house. LOL I'll have to pick some up. Thanks!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:09 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Go to a nail salon, I think its only $10. They know what they are doing and want allow your real nails to become weak.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:18 PM on May. 15, 2009

• soak them in acetone nail polish remover they should have some at a local dollar store but maybe not....dont rip them off yourself because your nails will become weak and brittle and break and that sucks
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 10:13 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I go to cosmo school. You soak them for 20 minutes in acetone nail polish remover or you can put some on a cotton ball and wrap your fingers in foil and then after the 20 minutes you remove them and wash your hands in warm water and file the rest or use a cuticle pusher to push it off cause it will be mushy
    ladybug.ky88

Answer by ladybug.ky88 at 10:22 PM on May. 15, 2009