thicker skin?!

my MIL said i need to grow some thicker skin if im gona make it with their side of family....all the girls on my SO side are all hard asses who act like you cant show your emotions...im sorry but im a big cry baby alwas have been! was it rude of her to say that to me? i feel it was, why should i have to change to please others?!! load of crap....oh yea and im a SHE WOMAN MOTHER IN LAW HATER LOL instead of he man.....anyway.

brandnew744

Asked by brandnew744 at 8:56 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• Be yourself! :-)
    Anonymous

• Maybe she just means that you shouldnt take everything they say to heart?
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 9:01 PM on May. 15, 2009

• awww. Its ok lol. You dont have to be a hard a** to make it. you just have to stand your ground and mean it at times. I use to be like that, the biggest cry baby of them all so timid. Not anymore lol Im the quiet one that they keep caged up and unleash when needed lol. I think maybe she told you this as a way to let you know how the others are and to be prepared. Sometimes hard a**es can do and say things that will easily hurt feelings. Its ok to cry and be timid or soft but I bet you will defend and man up if needed lol. Good luck.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 9:04 PM on May. 15, 2009

• no i do have my burst but she told me out of anger...it wasnt just talking and she said it she is tired of me bing a softy....i say who gives a shit ill be me and you be you....
    brandnew744

Answer by brandnew744 at 9:06 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Try and be yourself like the 1st poster said, and I would add that you need to forgive yourself (maybe for getting into this family that's tough) and your in-laws (for their ignorance at times) and just try to let it roll off your back. You can leave the room for a while, go check on the kids, or just say "I disagree, my skin is lovely as is!" but if you do end up crying, but whoop./ They'll see they've upset you, and what's so wrong with that? Just don't let it get you angry and bitter.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:14 PM on May. 15, 2009

• What does her son say about this? He should be willing to tell her to back off and let you be yourself.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 PM on May. 15, 2009

• aw man thats not cool if she said it out of anger. I would seriously have a problem with that nad would have to discuss it with him now.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 9:20 PM on May. 15, 2009

• What a b!tch!!! SO NOT COOL!
    Tell her that she should trying being a woman, she might actually be happy for once in her life.
    Anonymous

• tell her you want to be happy not ignorant.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:31 PM on May. 15, 2009

• SO told me I needed to toughen up one time bc he thinks I get weepy too much. Well words hurt sometimes and they need to learn manners, why should we change who we are bc of their bad behavior? I told him NO I wasn't going to toughen up but I could replace his behind if he didn't behave. I like me. If he doesn't then he can leave. My door isn't locking him inside.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:32 PM on May. 15, 2009