has anyone

ever taken Abilify? and how long did it take to work..my husband is on it and just started and is trying to see how long it takes to work..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Health

• I took it a couple years ago, when I was sixteen. Then, it wasn't advertised with an anti-depressant, it was an anti-psycotic. I slept all the time and hated it. I took it with an anit-depressant and got off of it and did much better with just the anti depressant.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 9:34 PM on May. 15, 2009

• check with some of the women in the BiPolar groups. They use it. I've not heard anything good about it and not sure how long it takes to kick in but most of those kinds of meds takes weeks (like 6 -8)

Answer by admckenzie at 10:09 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My 15 year old daughter has been using it for 3 months and she felt it working within 2 weeks. It did make her sleepy right away, though.
    I'm not sure if the action time would be the same for a larger person, but I would assume it would be around the same length of time. If he doesn't feel a difference in 3-4 weeks then he will need to see the doctor who prescribed it about either increasing the dose or changing the medication. Most likely they would increase it before they change it to see if that worked first.
    All the best to your husband.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:00 AM on May. 19, 2009

• By the way, it is working very well for my daughter. She takes it at bedtime and it's effects last 24 hours (not the sleepy part). She has ADHD and ODD. She is not bi-polar or depressed. She is also on Vyvanse in the morning, which also is working wonders for her.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:02 AM on May. 19, 2009