4year old boy who refuses to poop in the toliet. HELP!!!!

My son is 4. We have been doing potty traning now for a few months. He has the peeing the potty down. We havent had any pee accidents for 3 weeks. He just refuses to poop in the toliet. When I ask him why he says that he dosent want to do what I tell him to. I need help. I am at the end of my rope. I have tried everything. We take him to to potty every half hour even if he says he dosent have to go. We sit there for at least 20 minutes. He just holds it in till we off the potty. I have taken away stuff, tried to give him treats, tell him we will do a picnic in the park with McDonalds which is his favorite food. I just dont know what to do anymore. Any suggestions you have would be appericated. My husband and I are at the end of our ideas. Thanks.

keiths.mommy

Asked by keiths.mommy at 9:32 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My mom JUST gave me an article about this. I am going to try it tomorrow. After a high fiber breakfast you strip your kid and put him in the bathroom with some toys or books. Tell him he can't come out until he poops in the potty. Don't make a big deal about it when he does go. Just say, good, you can come out of the bathroom now. It should only take a few days to a week for your child to regulate. My son usually does a stink in the afternoon, so I will do it after lunch, but with my 2 year old I will try it in the morning!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:37 PM on May. 15, 2009

• It seems like you have done the right things to get him to "go". He is being stubborn and will have to come around. My 3 year old son hates when someone outshines him so sometimes when my little cousins come over Ill say " Oh so and so pooh in the potty now thats a big boy" and lil j will sit there with his mouth tooted out...lol. That was a couple months back though. But I guess your son will come around on his own.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:39 PM on May. 15, 2009

• my oldest did this. so this is what I did. When he had to poop he asked for a pull up. Eventully I asked him to sit on the potty with his pull up on and go that way. Then one day he asked for his pull up. I told him I had to find one so he should go sit on the potty with his pants down while I searched. I took my sweet time.......He did it! After that he never had a problem going poop in the potty again
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:02 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I had a big bag of m&ms and ate them in front of her whils she sat on the potty and made a big deall about how good they were(they were her fav).Everytime she asked for one I relpy the same after you poop in the potty! We did that for a couple days and she started going on her own and I gave her 4 m&ms after she wernt till she was 4. Hope u find a way to make it work!:)
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 2:54 AM on May. 16, 2009