how do you discipline a 9 month old?

my DS is 9 months old and he is getting into everything....like he is supposed to. but when he gets into things that he isnt supposed to, we give him a look, say his name sternly, and if he is in danger, we tell him no. but he just looks at us and laughs and smiles really big. any suggestions on how to teach a 9 month old what he can and can not play with? i know its going to take a while but any suggestions to help it sink in?

kelsey.evans08

Asked by kelsey.evans08 at 9:35 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am not sure what "discipline" is so wrong with a child that age. There are far more ways to mold behavior than simply spanking- something I can see might not be effective yet, although I wouldn't be against tapping on the offending body part to show the child what a stern "no" would be related to. I disagree that they must know right and wrong. Your job as a parent is to teach them right and wrong. I agree with baby proofing. Neither of my kids learned with redirection. It only too their mind off the boundary or was completely ignored as they turned back to what ever I had pulled them from. I don't think you are doing anything wrong- They want to see what the boundaries are and if they are consistent.  I had to lol at the big smile because mine giggles and grins too.   It's totally normal.  Lay the right frame work now with age appropriate discipline and you will save yourself some headache when they are older... jmo
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 8:23 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I think that 9 months is when we started baby timeout. One of us would hold her in our lap immobilzed and count backwards from 20 (until my husband decided that she would not learn to count correctly and insisted that we stop counting backwards).

Answer by rkoloms at 9:37 PM on May. 15, 2009

• hmm that sounds like a good idea! i will have to try that next time! thanks!
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 9:38 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Distract, redirect, and remove. For example:
    He's trying to play with the garbage can..
    "No sweetie, that's yucky. Let's find a fun toy instead."
    Then you pick him up and remove him for the area and spend a few minutes playing with him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:39 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Then, why not just count forwards? All you can do is say a strern no and then direct their attention to something else.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:40 PM on May. 15, 2009

• you shouldnt attempt discipline on a 9 month old.
    ever.
    in order for a child to be 'naughty' they first have to understand the difference between the 'right' thing to do and the 'wrong' thing to do.
    at this age, he is smiling because he gets a reaction from you that is different to the usual one. redirect, redirect, redirect.
    if the situation is a dangerous one, you can say 'uh uh' and physically take them away from the situation, but punishing a baby is just going to confuse them.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 10:39 PM on May. 15, 2009

• No punishment for 9 month olds. They don't understand yet. Tell him "no" and redirect him. Plan on doing this about a million times. Eventually ( in a few months) he will get it and then he'll do just to test you. Just remember to be stern but don't expect him to understand yet.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 11:02 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Keep redirecting. He WILL eventually get it. You'll go nuts first, but that's a requirement of the Mommy Contract. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 11:35 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I agree. About the only thing that will work is redirection. Some stuff (the really dangerous stuff), I rearranged so the kids couldn't get to it, but other than that I just stayed constantly on them, removing them from the thing they wanted. My daughter was particularly stubborn about it, and would go back to it over and over (usually immediately after I *attempted* to redirect her) and would throw a fit after a couple of times of removing her from her goal. That girl had the shrillest screech!!
    She eventually gave up. For a while.
    Good luck!!
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 2:28 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Being consistant to you saying "NO" don't touch that it's hot if he is near a fireplace that will give you a ouchey etc......
    Explain why your saying No even though they don't understand that minute later on it will make sense to them when they are closer to a year old if not alittle longer etc... but BOTH parents have to do this not just one parent etc.. It is working really good for my 21 month old and he knows what he can touch and can't but HE will not push his father or me more than once as the counting game does help but we try and explain why we are saying don't touch so there not so confused why they CAN touch a card or paper at home but if they go to someone elses house the CAN'T touch the paper that someone may have on a table or in there reach...He is not perfect but it helps keep you sane when your child is not acting up all the time..
    Best of luck
    truckchickie

Answer by truckchickie at 2:34 AM on May. 16, 2009