Why do some people wear a rosary around their neck?

I ask mainly because I was raised Catholic and we were told to NOT wear it, that's not what it's for, but I've seen people wear it.

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 9:36 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Maybe they are not Catholic and don't know the "Proper" use of the rosary, but think it's pretty for jewelry. That's the only reason I can think of.
    Anonymous

• Because I'm not catholic and it reminds me of my Great, great, great, great Aunt whom I loved very much when I wear it.
    Anonymous

• Because their stupid. I was Catholic too. It really pisses me off when they wear it, especially when I see Catholics do it. It's not cool nor does it look good.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 9:42 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I guess I should add that I've seen Catholics do it, mainly Hispanic ones. Is it a cultural thing?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:47 PM on May. 15, 2009

I second that.

Anonymous

• It is not a cultural thing, I am Hispanic and I am not that disrespectful. My aunt was born in Mexico and she told off anyone who she caught wearing a rosary for a fashion statement. Just because a Catholic does it, doesn't make it right.
    livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 10:01 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I like they way they look, but I have never worn one... I owned something very similar once, but it was supposed to be a necklace. I don't know how it could be disrespectful, that doesn't make sence. It can mean one thing to you and something completely different to them, why does it matter? I have read the bible many times over and never read anything about a rosary or how to use it. It's a tool, that's all. And it can be many things to many people.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:55 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Fashion. Pure and simple - it's a fashion trend. Doesn't make the people who wear them stupid or disrespectful, just followers of what everyone does...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:21 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Because they don't know what it is. They think its pretty beads and a cross. It is ignorance to what the proper use of a rosary is.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 12:31 AM on May. 16, 2009

• they were it because they like the way it looks..just like some people wear crosses...it can't be because they truly understand and accept its meaning to those who use them in religious settings.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 1:10 AM on May. 16, 2009