Crafts for money?

Does anyone know if there are any legitamate companies out there where you can put together projects (like magnets or stuff like that) and make money from it. I tried a company a long time ago, but my work didn't meet their standards, which was crap because mine looked better than their samples did. I know that the envelope stuffing is always a scam, but I though maybe there was something as far as assembly that was legitamate. Entering data or stuff too would be something that I could do. Thanks for your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• Do you make bingo crafts? Sometimes the bingo halls will buy bingo items like bags and money/ticket holders and resell.
    Anonymous

• I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement and sells them to boutiques. If you have a talent, you should take a few samples to stores in your area and see if any would be willing to purchase them from you.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 PM on May. 15, 2009

• You can always look into selling in local stores. Many boutiques have vendor rental areas. Craft fairs are always good too as long as you have something different at an affordable rate. I was at a craft fair last week and every booth was little girl ballerina outfits and bows and girls girls girls. I said " I wish someone had things for my boy!" I would have bought from the boy booth just bc my son felt left out that all of his cousins got a little prize and he didn't! I heard several other women complain too. Anyway... If you want to do crafts you need to make and market your own. Making them for someone else is a scam. They all say it isn't up to par and usually you're out a startup or kit fee and they still resell the crafts you made that they claim aren't good enough. Total scams! :(
    Anonymous

• i agree sell in local stores...maybe eventually you can open your own
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 12:19 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I worked at a Michael's craft store years ago, and made floral displays and custom arrangements. The samples I made, were available for sale, and I got a cut of the sale price. I believe they did the same for anyone else who made store samples for sale. It was a nice little "bonus" on top of my hourly rate when something sold, as it was pure profit (having used Michael's supplies to make whatever it is I made!

I wonder if you could contact corporate and see if they'll just let you sell your craft items through them--paying them a percentage of your sales? Maybe they'd be even more interested if you could create something using products THEY already sell, to help turn them over? Customers are more likely to buy something when they can see the finished project and can then buy everything they need right on the spot! Good luck! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:33 AM on May. 16, 2009

• try flea markets.. you can set up your own tables and market your own goods... or you can sell them online...

there are also local shops in your area that I'm sure would help you sell your crafts.. I know our local drug store sells local crafts, as does a few other local craft shops.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:22 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I have actually put together a series of work at home articles, which contain excellent resources, information and links about working at home.  Some of the links, may be companies you didn't even know existed.  Check them out and see if you see something:

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1396278/Work_at_Home_Article_Series_on_eHow

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:20 PM on May. 16, 2009