what foods are high in iron so i don't have to take these iron pills?

I am 8 months pregnant and my doctor told me i need to take iron pills. Me and pills just don't work well together.

LoveMyJellyBean

Asked by LoveMyJellyBean at 9:49 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Health

• Spinach, leafy green veggies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:51 PM on May. 15, 2009

• google "high iron foods".
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:52 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Liver has a lot of iron in it.
    Anonymous

• since spinach was already mentioned...... LIVER.... but only if you can handle the smell. I started craving it when my iron was low.
    beanielips

Answer by beanielips at 9:53 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Red meat, brocoli and brussel sprouts.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 9:53 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Here is a great link: http://www.soystache.com/iron.htm

Answer by rkoloms at 9:57 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I've been there and if you don't take the pills you run a risk of other health issues and becoming B-12 deficient, which takes longer to get rid of.

You can eat Red Meats, Liver (I don't eat that but I've been told it's best), Spinach, I believe Broccoli is, but if you stick with lots of red meats then you're helping yourself lots.

Iron pills are probably best and I'd say do both pills and other things to try and get your body to where you don't need the iron pills anymore.  If you are having problems taking them due to them making you sick to your stomach, that is very normal, try taking them with something small to eat before bed, it doesn't take the feeling all the way away but does reduce it and you can absorb it while you're sleeping.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 10:15 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Any DARK green leafy veggies like Spinach... Liver is also a great source!

MMMM... Now I'm hungry!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:47 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Kale, collard greens, baked potato w/ skin, sardines, seaweed, pumpkin seeds, oat bran, barley, quinoa, edamame, blackstrap molasses.
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 11:30 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I have been eating Bellybars. They can be found online or at places like Target. It is essentially like eating a prenatal vitamin. They are tasty and only 180 calories, so they won't ruin your calorie count. They have worked wonders for me! I would agree with everyone else about the leafy greens. I do not eat meat and have a genetic disposition to low iron. I have struggled with anemia my whole life. The other thing that really works for me are raisins. They are easy to throw into salads and breads (if you bake) and also easy to carry as a snack.
    momokittypants

Answer by momokittypants at 9:36 AM on May. 17, 2009