How long did you exclusively breastfeed and how long is too long to EBF?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Here's what kellymom says:

At what point does baby need nutrition from solids that cannot be provided by breastmilk alone?

Breastmilk should make up the majority of baby’s nutrition through the end of the first year. At some point toward the end of the first year, most babies will gradually begin to need more iron and zinc than that provided by breastmilk alone - at that point, additional nutrients can be obtained from small amounts of solids.

Some babies thrive on breastmilk alone until 12 months or later - as long as your baby is continuing to gain weight and grow as he should, your milk is meeting his needs well.

jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 1:09 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Just my opinion here, but I feel when a child can walk up and lift your shirt, its time to stop.
    Anonymous

• I assume by exclusively, you mean no solids. As long as the child is healthy I don't see any need to start solids. My sister in law waits until her kids are one year.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:01 PM on May. 15, 2009

• The World Health Organization, which operates away from the influences of the dairy and formula industries, unlike American doctors, recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of one year. My daughter weaned herself at 23 months; I managed to breastfeed her exclusively (I define this as not using formula) while working full time. We introduced solids at around six months and a sippy with water at 9 months. She never had cow milk (she is not a baby cow)

Answer by rkoloms at 10:09 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I Exclusively breastfed my daughter (meaning no babyfood, cereal or formula) until she was 6 months and EBFed my son until he was 9 months. Personally the max for me would be one year of EBFing. As for nursing in general, 2 years is probably my max but I'm not sure.
    EricaG87

Answer by EricaG87 at 10:11 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i exclusively (nothing but breastmilk) until he was 6 months, when i tried some solids. he wasnt interested in them, so he wasnt really eating until he was around 8 months, when he got a little more interested in food. he is now 10 months, and eats maybe a quarter of a cup of food per day.
    i have known babies who waited until a year to have anything but breastmilk, and they have been perfectly healthy and growing well. i plan to nurse my baby until he is ready to stop.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 10:22 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I breastfed my DD until she was 16 months old with no formula. I started giving her solids at 4 months!
    Anonymous

• I nursed exclusively until 5 months, so we went very slowly with solids due to her reflux. No meats until at least a year and never any dairy (we do rice or soy milk). However, she nursed at least twice a day until 24 months, then I gently weaned her. I had intended to wean at 12 mos, but all of her struggles with food, my pedi wanted me to continue.  It was not a hassle at all, and I now plan to do the same with the next baby. askdrsears.com is a great resource if you want a pedi's opinion, too.

aim1105

Answer by aim1105 at 10:36 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i exclusively nursed until 7 months but i breastfeed until they want to stop the longest for me was 3 years old
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 10:56 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I exclusively nursed both my kids until they were six months and let them each wean themselves. My dd weaned herself at 14 months and my ds weaned himself at 18 months.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:09 PM on May. 15, 2009