How does a window air conditioning unit compare to central air?

Our central air went out and we were told it would cost 5000 to replace it. So we got a window unit today for 400. I don't know what to expect with the electric bill.

evelyngayle

Asked by evelyngayle at 10:10 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Shopping

• To me it really depends on where you have it, and how much of the house you are looking to cool off with it. We live in an apartment right now, and have only one in the living room that has to cool off 2 bedrooms all the way down the hall. Our bills tend to jump up pretty high in the summer. However, we are about to move into a house with central air and were told average bills in the summer there are almost half what we pay now with the air on. I would invest in a couple of floor fans to help the air rotate through the house from the AC if you find it running too hard for too long.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:14 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Depending on the sizes and ages and efficienies of the units, they will probably use about the same.
    Do you have ceiling fans? A properly installed ceiling fan will lower the temperature in the room approximately 7 degrees.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:13 PM on May. 15, 2009

• it SUCKS
    no ventalation
    basically stand in front of it if you want to cool air
    i had one in fla i was MISERABLE
    Anonymous

• I'd find a way to get the $5000 asap. Central air is a must. I guess it depends on where you live. If you live in an area where its 70 all year around then you probably will be fine but if you live in 100 summer's its worth getting it fixed. Window Units don't last very long so you'll end up having to replace it after a couple of years. They don't cool down much more than one room and tend to leak condensation everywhere and ruin your windowsill and outside of your house. Its an eyesore also. I hated how mine looked when we had it. I had ours about three months before I said forget it, found a place that financed the unit and bought a new central system. I feel for you! Hope it works out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I hated window AC's. Our elec was always so high with them. Even in a studio apartment, we had 2 window units, and certain places of the house were still really hot. For a studio with window units we paid about $140 a month for elec. Now we live in a big 2 bedroom apartment, and this month we are paying $85 with the AC running all month. The most we've paid (EVER) here is $120 with the AC. And this is for an apt twice as big as the studio apartment. If it's just a temporary fix, it should be fine. But it DOES get expensive.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:25 AM on May. 16, 2009

• It doesn't. Central air is th ebomb!! It is more to get but way worth it.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:55 AM on May. 16, 2009