anyone know of natural cures for adhd?

my step daughter may have adhd and all of us (her mom included) dont want to pop her full of pills. they havent said she has it for sure yet. i know theres certain foods for autisum cure but wasnt sure if anyone knew of any for adhd.

mr.bear

Asked by mr.bear at 10:24 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• There aren't certain foods just changing the overall diet so she eats healthy, wholesome foods could do wonders. Cut out packaged foods and anything with artificial colors/preservatives etc. When my mom did this for my brother's ADHD, she followed the rule where you only grocery shop on the outer perimeter of the grocery store. (Basically make a big circle avoiding anything in the aisles.) I do this when shopping for my son and everything I need I can find on the outskirts of the store.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:37 PM on May. 15, 2009

• There are not any cures for ADD/ADHD.There are ways to manage it.
    First, find a therapist who will work with her to help her learn how to use this to her advantage.Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this subject: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/
    Next, you need to educate yourselves on the relationship between food and behavior. You can either follow the Feingold diet (www.feingold.org), or follow these simple rules: don't buy anything with ingredients that you can't pronounce; don't buy anything with ingredients that your great grandmother wouldn't recognize. Eat whole, unprocessed foods: fruits and vegetables, whole grains, bean, lentils tofu. Be careful with meat and dairy, unless you know exactly what the animals ate.
    Many kids are helped with supplementation. My daughter's attention issues were incredibly improved with fish oil, though we have switched her to hemp oil.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:45 PM on May. 15, 2009

• try an all organic diet I have a friend whose daughter has it and thats what they did and they have seen big improvements
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 10:55 PM on May. 15, 2009

• There is NO cure for Autism with food or anything else! None! That's the biggest bunch of hooey out there!

There is NO cure for ADHD, either. There are some who benefit from special diets, but no one diet works for all. And by "benefit" I mean they see some improvement, but they are not cured.

I'm sorry, but whoever told you there is a CURE for either one of those disorders is wrong.
    Anonymous

• First, determine whether or not your daughter has ADHD before you start changing things. Second, if she is diagnosed with ADHD, seek therapy/nutrition counseling before changing anything. Educate yourself about your options - and allow for the possibility that medication might be the most effective way of helping your daughter IF she is positively diagnosed with ADHD. Also consider not just nutritional changes, but environmental changes as well (like screen time, physical activities, communication styles, etc.).
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:13 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Hi, you can also work with alternative medicine to find detox kits to help remove the poisonous part of vaccines that may have been one in a series of things that started it in the first place. There is a lot of neurological damage to high-risk kids from the Pertussis shot. Seek a D.O. who is a full M.D. but has specialized in a certain branch of alternative medicine. He can network you with other professionals who deal more with ADHD.

Also, you can find M.D.s who specialize in homeopathic medicine...they have a tremendous resource to help the brain, etc.

Yes, diets do help. Have you heard the famous comedian, Jim Carrey, and his wife discuss how they totally reversed their son's ADHD? Diet was a huge thing for their turnaround.

Like with most diseases, you have to unravel several contributing causes...not just one thing. Buy PRESCRIPTION for NUTRITIONAL HEALING --Barnes & Noble or better health stores.
    Mom401

Answer by Mom401 at 11:45 AM on May. 18, 2009

• coffee
    LandonsMom321

Answer by LandonsMom321 at 12:29 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I know people that have had great success with a natural supplement called Truehope CNE. It's made in Canada, but is sold through a handful of distributors in the US (just Google the name & you can find plenty of information). It's a great alternative to prescription medication if your step daughter does get an ADHD diagnosis. Plus, it's completely safe for children and there is a powder form if she doesn't like to take capsules.

Good luck with your search.
    Powderhound

Answer by Powderhound at 5:50 PM on May. 26, 2009