What is opposittonal defant behavior?

My 4 yr. old's Dr. told me this today. All that I know about this is something I have read that he has not bonded with me. I need book 's to read and web sight's and just plan help other than the drugs they gave me to give him today Help!

mandyandthree

Asked by mandyandthree at 10:25 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my mother is a pediatric psychologist, and a while ago she told me this was the 'new' term for children who are basically naughty for the fun of it, rather than to gain attention or because they dont know any better. i dont think it has anything to do with bonding, thats a separate issue.
    im sorry you are going through a rough time, but id get a second opinion on this one.
    if you dont know what the condition is or understand the criteria for the condition, i think you need to find out way more before you medicate your child.
    Anonymous

• ODD is when a Child, for some reason, has a problem with authority figures and cannot follow rules given by the authority figure. No matter what the rule, they see it as "unreasonable" and use that view of the rule to justify not following it. This surpasses normal adolescent michief and goes into the territory of it being a psychological compulsion (for lack of a better term) to defy authority rather than the child having a malicious motive for the defiance.

Get a second opinion. What is the medication for? Does he have ADHD too? They didn't thoroughtly explain this to you before giving you medication? I'd definitely go to a child therapist as well as a different doctor for more opinions in this instance.

http://www.google.com/search?q=What+is+ODD%3F
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:36 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I need to say something is wrong with this child he came after me and the baby with a knife over being told no. Also the Dr. said he is to young to be ADD/ADHD. Also I need thigs in print so I can read and re read I asked if the Dr.had anything he did not.
    mandyandthree

Answer by mandyandthree at 11:14 PM on May. 15, 2009

• No he is not to young for ADHD. That was when my daughter was diagnoised.She IS on meds for it and is a totally new delightful little girl! However I think its called defiant disorder and I have heard it from my DDs preschool teacher. I think it just means they refuse to obey authority they are defiant! Please dear god put those knives way up! I don't want to offend however, has this started since the baby came? I think the bcs I said so approach may not work w/ him expieriment with diffrent types of discipline. Good luck momma-keep thinking good thoughts!
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 2:43 AM on May. 16, 2009

• ODD is a fancy way of saying that the kid is a spoiled brat and needs to be taught some manners and respect. I don't need a degree to diagnose that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on May. 16, 2009

• WOW, I found an answer to my 3 year old! I dont think it has to do with bonding because it has always been just me and my daughter. My brother tells me to put her on Ritalin because her father has ADHD but I would give meds as a LAST resort. My daughter basically does stuff she knows is naughty... its like to get a reaction out of me to see what Im going to do!
    goose23

Answer by goose23 at 2:36 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Seriously.. Anyone else sick of these new terms????
    BSFreeMama

Answer by BSFreeMama at 11:25 AM on May. 18, 2009