Baby's fingernails...

It seems after I trim my 4 month old's nails, he gets hangnails. I'm cutting straight across and making sure there are no sharp edges for him to scratch himself.
Is there a certain way to trim them? His little hangnails look painful. Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always used baby clippers and a baby emeryboard. Fileing them down and around the corners, she never had hang nails.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 10:58 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Do you use the siscors or clippers. I found the sissors worked better to prevent that for me
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 10:47 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I haven't tried scissors, do you use the little ones made for babies? I just use baby clippers.
    Anonymous

• I am always scared i will cut her so i bite my four month olds nails. no hang nails
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 10:51 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Yea I use the little ones. They make it so much easier too cause I never have to worry about getting her little fingers
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 10:51 PM on May. 15, 2009

• nursinghannah- you should try the scissors for babies nails too you get them underneath the nail and can see it so much easier. I got my little girls finger once with clippers and my mom told me about the scissors and I have used them ever since with no pain
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 10:54 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i use the scissors my daughter does better with them and itrs not painful and its fast
    zoeysmommy09

Answer by zoeysmommy09 at 11:18 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I use baby clippers, and she's never gotten hangnails and I've never cut her with them. She is 5 months old now. I don't know how to prevent hangnails....
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:19 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I use baby clippers, and I've only cut him once. It was a complete accident. He hates being held down and he tried to pull his hand away right as I was getting his nail in the clippers to cut and it accidentally got a little skin and went too far in. I felt so bad, he had a scab for two weeks. =( I've never cut him since, but he still fights me. It's bad for your nails to chew them. It makes them brittle and unhealthy. Besides, I can't even chew my own nails without cutting up my fingers (I have braces) so I wouldn't even dare try it on my little man!
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 2:21 AM on May. 16, 2009