• In the Spotlight:

Perception of age

I'm 42 and have noticed a strange thing about my perception of my family.

Specifically, I think of them as they were about 10-15 years ago. Even though the family I'm talking about are all living and I see how much they have aged, in my mind, they haven't hardly changed from some of the pictures I have of them 10-15 years ago. (My mom, dad and brother)
But, they have definitely changed! I see them and sometimes am jolted to that reality.
This is so weird and unexpected. I wonder if it's true what they say about love being blind.

Maybe it's true the very old husband and wife DO look at each other and "see" something outsiders don't. Sort of like that old movie, about a scarred woman and man who miraculously look beautiful and healed to each other when they go to live in a secluded cottage.

Has this happened to anyone else?

timelessglass

Asked by timelessglass at 10:55 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• When I got married and moved away, my baby sister was just about to turn 15. She was intrigued and confused and embarrased by her new found sexuality (not that she was having sex, more her womanhood I guess). She like boys, didn't want them to know and always worried about what boys liked her. I used to tease her by making jokes that contained sexual innuendo. It was a little mean, but that's what big sisters are for. I recently went home and she's 18, no longer a virgin, and by no means embarrased. There has been rumors that she was having sex (between my sisters of course) but I just couldn't bring myself to beleive that my baby sister who turned bright red at the sound of "breasts" was having sex. She's about to graduate hs, she's working, and is about to move away for college and through all this I always forget that she's not my baby sister more, she's my sister who's becoming a young woman.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Yes, that is what I'm talking about. It's almost like a time jump or something, Crystal1124
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:05 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Happens 2 me all the time w/my grandparents. I can't c my pappaw being any older than he was the last time the entire fam got 2gether 4 his bday. He was 69 then... He's in his early 80s now. Reality sometimes smacks me in the face & I realize that I have some very tough times coming soon. Really sad how time flies...
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 12:41 AM on May. 16, 2009