Questions for meat eaters...

Do you not realize the horror that is factory farming and the torture that these innocent animals endure or do you just not care? Or do you realize and care, but you just find it too inconvenient to change the way you eat?

Would you be able to hunt or raise and slaughter your own animals?

I'm vegan. Not because I think it's wrong to eat animals, but because I REFUSE to support factory farming. It's inhumane and terrible for the environment. There is no way I could ever hunt or kill an animal I've cared for unless my or my family's survival depended on it, but I think hunting or small family farms are much more respectable and much more humane than factory farming.

http://www.moviesfoundonline.com/earthlings.php?comments_page=1

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I realize and care, but find it difficult to change my diet. We'd all have to change too, and I would feel weird about my 18 month old not having meat. I know there's soy stuff, but I would still feel like I was depriving her. I buy local, small-farmed meat when I can. I really believe in family farming and have a lot respect for bow-hunting (which I could never do, but my husband loves). It feels cool that we can provide for ourselves like that- in such a traditional and humble way.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:11 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I can't answer for everyone. I hunt and clean a portion of my meat. And most everything else I buy, I buy from local butchers who buy from local farmers. Only every once in awhile when in a pinch do I buy from the grocery store. There's a big taste difference.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 11:12 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I know how you feel though. If I were to become vegetarian, factory farms and terrible unethical practices in general would be the reason.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:13 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Yeah but 2 wonderful butterflies, God would not like the way his creatures are being treated. I don't think he intended it to be like this. They deserve lives.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:14 PM on May. 15, 2009

• yeah i realized the whole thing about the factory farming...that is why i deleted my answer.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:18 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Oh yeah, I would be able to hunt and slaughter my own food. I live in Montana and we already to that. But I feel ya on this one. I've seen the video's. What bugs me is how much hormones they pump into some of these animals, it totally grosses me out. Yeah, I don't eat too much meat any more. The only animals I don't feel bad for is the chickens because they are the stupidest creatures on earth. But I don't like that they are pumped full of so many hormones. Over here in MT a lot of people raise their own chickens and it is wonderful to eat eggs where the yolks are orange and not yellow. I do wish many of the animals were treated better. It is possible to get meat around here that is fairly organic and the animals were treated well. I am not as big on meat as my husband and I can easily go with out it. Lately I have noticed that a lot of women in general aren't big on certain meats pork in particular. Have you noticed that?
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 11:21 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Which is why I voted in favor of Prop 2 last year, to ban factory farm practices. I've made the changes that I can.

No, I wouldn't be able to hunt for food where I live. Nor could I raise it. And while we've drastically cut back on meat consumption for health reasons, I don't see it going away.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:29 PM on May. 15, 2009

• "The only animals I don't feel bad for is the chickens because they are the stupidest creatures on earth."

So being stupid means that you deserve to be miserable? Chickens are probably the most abused farm animal. I will never forget one video I saw on youtube... There were chickens hanging upside down by their feet on this conveyor belt thing and two workers were shoving their hands inside the chickens as they went past, pulling out eggs and throwing them at each other! It was so disgusting!
    Anonymous

• My mother grew up on a dairy farm, and my husband on a cattle ranch. If I suddenly stopped eatting meat, I may very well be disowned.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:41 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I live on a ranch...so as for your would you be able to question...yes, I do. The way the economy is even if I wanted to stop eating meat I couldnt...Why? because im pregnant and need Iron for one and I cant afford soy products or tofu. I do have foodstamps but not enough to pay for a vegetarian lifestyle. So the way I see it is survival of the fittest... its either me and my baby or them..and I am in NO way cruel to the animals I raise they are perfectly happy there whole life
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 12:08 AM on May. 16, 2009