Am I being irrational?

My husband has a birthday next week. We really don't do surprise gifts, and I told him I wanted to take him to see the Star Trek movie, since he wants to see it. A few days later he says two of his friends asked if he wanted to go, so he would probably go with them. I didn't mind, it's his birthday. Then he suggested that we could go see the Terminator movie together since he'd rather see that one anyway. So we set a date to go on opening weekend. Then last night a different friend stops by and he makes plans to see that movie with him. This time I'm hurt because we had plans to do that together on a date.
Am I wrong to be bothered at his nonchalant canceling of our date in favor of hanging with one of his buddies, or should I suck it up since it's his birthday weekend? I haven't really said anything to him about it yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• ehh, I'd probably be upset, since you DID set a date and all...maybe just voice that you were really looking forward to going with him for his birthday, and you were kind of upset that he made plans with his buddy...
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:21 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I'd be upset...I've never been a fan of the phrase " Bro's before Hoes"...so Yeah I'd be a little ticked!
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 11:24 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I can't be mad at you either!!! i would definitely be upset. especially with the fact that you set a date. do what carliemarie1015 said... i mean he's going to one with his buddies he can at least go to the other with you.
    princess021

Answer by princess021 at 11:32 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I would be upset. Especially if there was already plans made.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:33 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Apparently he had it in his mind that his friend would go with us to see the movie. Umm.. that's not a date. Maybe I'm being a pouty baby about it, but I'm not paying for a sitter to hang with him and his friend.
    Anonymous

• Seeing a movie isn't a gift. It's just another night. That's probably how he looks at it. I would find something better to get my husband for his birthday.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:44 AM on May. 16, 2009

• When you marry someone you make a pact that they're number one in your life no matter what...that goes for him too. Yes you need to let him have his own life, have nights out with his buds, but he should never let those nights get in the way of dates with his wife, and with spending time with you. AKA...yes...be angry lol
    Cutie_Hijabi

Answer by Cutie_Hijabi at 8:06 AM on May. 16, 2009

• *Seeing a movie isn't a gift. It's just another night. That's probably how he looks at it. I would find something better to get my husband for his birthday.*

Wow, so you don't think he should honor a date he made with his wife because it's not a "good enough" gift? How do you know that might not be something he would normally consider a wonderful gift?
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 8:28 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Maybe he felt like the guy kinda invited himself?
    I'd send the two of them off together to watch it... and tell him I didn't want to interupt his date night with his friend.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:01 AM on May. 16, 2009