Do you believe that the pledge of allegience should be mandatory in school.

I few years ago I remember there was a big debate about it and ever since I havent had to say the pledge of allegience while attending school...I dont even remember it. Do you believe they should make it mandatory to say the pledge of allegience? Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I really haven't given it much thought. But If I remember the debate it was about the phrase "under God" and the violation of church and state. Is that what you remember?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:38 PM on May. 15, 2009

• yes, because will live in the United Stated of America:)
    DeannaR4

Answer by DeannaR4 at 11:39 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Schools still say it. I don't remember it ever being said once I got past elementary school, though, and that was back when it wasn't controversial. I know at my son's elementary school the principal leads them every morning on the intercom.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:52 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I have no idea..I never knew what it was really about honestly I never cared ...I just knew that people where fighting over it and then we just stopped doing it...
    Anonymous

• the "under god" part was the controversial thing.. i wouldnt mind my boys saying it. im not religious, hell- im agnostic and it wouldnt offend me.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:02 AM on May. 16, 2009

• i think it should be left up to the school. imo anyone who is American should stand while the pledge is given to show their country respect. but i dont think students should be MADE to say it.

in college every Monday we said the pledge. my Canadian roommate got in trouble once for not saying it, but she always stood silently while everyone else said it so they dropped it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:02 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I have never said the pledge of allegiance. I got out of it in school because I was a Jehovah's Witneess. I am no longer a witness but I do agree with that one thing. That the pledge is weird. I am proud to be an American and I love America but I don't feel the need to say it. It means nothing to me. In school so many kids would say it just because they had to, they didn't mean it.. I think it is treating us like robots and takes away from our freedom of speech. It is hard to explain. But I love being American, I don't feel the need or pride to say the pledge though.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 12:20 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I never knew what it was really about honestly I never cared

THAT is exactly why children should learn the pledge of allegiance and there should be classroom discussions about WHAT it means, WHY it is important and How it makes sence in our daily lives. This should be done rather informally each year, and geared to the child's understanding at that age. We got this in school, my kids didn't. Since the school won't teach your child, YOU have to.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:30 AM on May. 16, 2009

• please remember the original pledge did not include God. I think they should return to the original version and keep the pledge in school
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 1:33 AM on May. 16, 2009

• No. That sort of thing should never be mandatory. Sounds too much like Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia. Not good examples to follow.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:46 AM on May. 16, 2009